Looking for an almost extinct recipe?

Reaction score
Hi All,
I hope I’ve chosen the correct section. This is a bit complicated. Let me start by saying I CAN NOT FIND what I’m looking for on the internet. I’ve tried. The topic: Cinnamon Rolls.
Every few years, I will visit some off the wall diner that serves a type of cinnamon roll that I am DYING to find a recipe for. The world has turned to Cinnabon clones. Fluffy, light, NOT what I’m looking for.
The recipe I am trying to find, I can only tell you that they are heavy, almost chewey, and HEAVILY yeast flavored. It seems like, growing up, it was the only way people made them. With this world of healthy eating, I fear this recipe may disappear altogether. I don’t know how to better explain these rolls other than they have a tang of yeast and literally weigh 2-3 times what a normal sweet roll weighs. They even look different. Almost uncooked. NO fluffy & light here!!
If anybody recognizes the recipe that I am talking about, would you PLEASE share it, or any ideas about where I might find 30-50 year old recipes? I can be emailed directly through my profile. Thank you in advance for ANY leads.
BTW:
I have tried searching “yeast cinnamon rolls” and double yeast cinnamon rolls” “Old” & “Classic” Cinnamon Roll recipes” I did read one recipe that mentioned “the old way of using refrigerator dough”, but not sure that is what I’m looking for. ANY help would be GREATLY appreciated! Thank you!!

J13

Reaction score
Try looking for recipes for Cinnamon BREAD instead. I suspect that you may find more yeasty recipes that way. Breads, after all, can be made into rolls. But rolls are often made to be rolls. And this sounds like a bread recipe.

And, in fact, I think I may know exactly what you're after. Dolly Parton has a famous cinnamon-bread recipe served at her, um theme park (yes, she has a theme park :rolleyes:). This recipe is as old fashioned as you can get, uses frozen bread dough, and in no way is light, fluffy or healthy. Try the bread recipe and if it's what you're after, all you need to is transform it into rolls instead of bread.

https://mix96sac.com/dolly-parton-shares-recipe/

Hope this helps! :) Oh, and here's what the bread looks like....

Cinnamon bread.png

Reaction score
These sound like the “pecan pinwheels” my friends Indiana grandma made. They were shortish soft and addictive like a half baked cinnamon roll. I have no idea how to find a recipe but I too have eaten a unicorn dream food best of luck!

Hi All,
I hope I’ve chosen the correct section. This is a bit complicated. Let me start by saying I CAN NOT FIND what I’m looking for on the internet. I’ve tried. The topic: Cinnamon Rolls.
Every few years, I will visit some off the wall diner that serves a type of cinnamon roll that I am DYING to find a recipe for. The world has turned to Cinnabon clones. Fluffy, light, NOT what I’m looking for.
The recipe I am trying to find, I can only tell you that they are heavy, almost chewey, and HEAVILY yeast flavored. It seems like, growing up, it was the only way people made them. With this world of healthy eating, I fear this recipe may disappear altogether. I don’t know how to better explain these rolls other than they have a tang of yeast and literally weigh 2-3 times what a normal sweet roll weighs. They even look different. Almost uncooked. NO fluffy & light here!!
If anybody recognizes the recipe that I am talking about, would you PLEASE share it, or any ideas about where I might find 30-50 year old recipes? I can be emailed directly through my profile. Thank you in advance for ANY leads.
BTW:
I have tried searching “yeast cinnamon rolls” and double yeast cinnamon rolls” “Old” & “Classic” Cinnamon Roll recipes” I did read one recipe that mentioned “the old way of using refrigerator dough”, but not sure that is what I’m looking for. ANY help would be GREATLY appreciated! Thank you!!

Reaction score
I made these yesterday and I think they're what you're looking for. It's a YouTube channel called "Jenny Can Cook" and well worth watching.

Ask a Question