Looking for dense whole-grain bread with no kneading

Reaction score
Hello! I've always loved dense, almost chewy whole-grain bread. After waiting till retirement to start baking, my hands are now too arthritic for it. I need a recipe with as little hand-labor as possible. I would love to find a bread that's no-knead, or no yeast, or quick-bread, or? I am brand new to baking and trying to feel my way. It doesn't have to be fluffy or crusty, but I want to be able to add several (or even many) whole grains to it, and the denseness appeals to me so much. Does anyone have any suggestions? PS I may wind up with a breadmaker, but for now, wondering if there is a quick, simple way. Thanks all!

Reaction score
A kitchenaid mixer with a dough hook will take the place of any kneading and then you could make anything you like. If you don't want to invest in that, the book "Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day" by Zoe Francois and Jeff Hertzberg is a very useful book if you want to go the no knead way (few bucks on bookfinder.com). You will need a Dutch oven though.

Sal

Reaction score
Hello! I've always loved dense, almost chewy whole-grain bread. After waiting till retirement to start baking, my hands are now too arthritic for it. I need a recipe with as little hand-labor as possible. I would love to find a bread that's no-knead, or no yeast, or quick-bread, or? I am brand new to baking and trying to feel my way. It doesn't have to be fluffy or crusty, but I want to be able to add several (or even many) whole grains to it, and the denseness appeals to me so much. Does anyone have any suggestions? PS I may wind up with a breadmaker, but for now, wondering if there is a quick, simple way. Thanks all!
I use a food processor. No kneading, it does all the hard work for you. Plus, find a bread flour which contains ascorbic acid and it ensures the rise and texture of the bread is always excellent.

Reaction score
A kitchenaid mixer with a dough hook will take the place of any kneading and then you could make anything you like. If you don't want to invest in that, the book "Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day" by Zoe Francois and Jeff Hertzberg is a very useful book if you want to go the no knead way (few bucks on bookfinder.com). You will need a Dutch oven though.
Thank you so much! I do have a kitchenaid mixer, new in box, haven't opened it yet - I will get a dough hook!

Reaction score
I use a food processor. No kneading, it does all the hard work for you. Plus, find a bread flour which contains ascorbic acid and it ensures the rise and texture of the bread is always excellent.
Thank you so much!

Reaction score
This is why I do bread in my food processor now. Turns out perfect without having to kneed anything and you can get them pretty cheap.

Reaction score
Hi, have you watched 'Artisan bread with Steve' on youtube? The whole ethos is based on no knead bread, for those who can't knead, and i have had fantastic results. I particularly love his sunfower seed honey wholewheat bread, with which i normal up the whole wheat flour content a bit, and it always turns out great! There are other whole meal recipes, and he shows you how to add additional seeding to your taste. The recipe has absolutely no kneading (just stirring with the handle of a wooden spoon!), but I introduced 3 rounds of lifting and stretching, through the proving period to help control top splitting when baked in a loaf tin. I now cook in a le creuset casserole, but have continued with the stretches, just in case. The dough is left for 8 - 24 hours, before a short final prove, though i tend to leave it for nearly 24 hours, so you can vary that time to fit in with your daily routine! Everyone loves it, including my 96 year old Dad, but i always say that, really, there is no special skill involved, except following the recipe!

Ask a Question