Looking for new custard flavors for pies?

Reaction score
I love custard pies and am always looking for new recipes whether for old favorites or something I haven't tried before. I've got a couple of lemon recipes as well as lime, orange, vanilla and chocolate. I've added spices or herbs to these basics which has worked out well a few times but that is about it. These are pretty standard so I'm hoping to hear about different creations to try out. Thanks in advance and I look forward to making your recipe.

Reaction score
You know, custard is one thing that I just never give much time or attention to. It's not really that I dislike it, it's just never really on my radar. I don't have any recipes on hand but since you mentioned it, I'll look into it and get back to you with a few :).

Reaction score
I like just regular old fashioned custard. Sometimes the old recipes are the best and things start to taste funky when you try to add new flavorings into the mix.

Reaction score
I love to make ''dulce de leche'' pie, I add some pecans (very tiny pieces). I make my own dulce de leche... all you need is some milk and sugar, heat it at medium heat and keep checking the mix until it thickens. You can eat it over a load of bread.. it's good to have some at home, just in case! You can also use it to fill empanadas. Anyways, all I do in order to get a nice dulce de leche filling is simply use the dulce the leche I already have (cold) add some cold milk along with some hydrated grenetin (in water). That's it.

Reaction score
For me maybe I still prefer the original taste of the custard pie. I do not know how it will taste different if you will put other flavorings. But there is nothing wrong innovating recipes because I am doing this all the time in my cooking and baking. Well have to check on this also if there are new recipes for custard pies.

Reaction score
I'm definitely a good old fashioned vanilla egg custard person really.
  • But there is always a case of making egg custard with cream instead of milk - that completely changes the flavour but is still delicious... and extravagant.
  • I always use a proper vanilla pod to make my custard, so that is another option for you if you don't already.
  • Caramel custard is another option, not already mentioned.
  • Coffee flavoured custard is another and super easy to do.
Think that has me out of ideas other than strawberry or any summer fruit in the summer!
Ohhh Cherry flavoured custard over apple and rhubarb crumble.... :p

Ask a Question