Looking for Vintage Butter Biscuit Cutter with Wooden Handles

Reaction score
My father had his own bakery businesses in Aberdeen and after his retirement he kept a beautiful butter biscuit cutter, the style of which I have never seen since. Unfortunately, he gave the item away to a baker friend and I would love to know if they can be found anywhere. If anyone can help or point me in the right direction I would be very appreciative.
The cutter/press had beautiful wooden handles, each handle being about 9/10 inches long attached to a very solid brass mechanism which had springing within it. From memory I think you could have bakery's name set up on the stamp. It was clearly a professional and quality machine of its time . The brass cutting and stamping mechanism had dimensions of approximately 3 and a half inches diameter with a depth of 4/5 inches with two solid wooden handles.

Many thanks

Jim

Reaction score
My father had his own bakery businesses in Aberdeen and after his retirement he kept a beautiful butter biscuit cutter, the style of which I have never seen since. Unfortunately, he gave the item away to a baker friend and I would love to know if they can be found anywhere. If anyone can help or point me in the right direction I would be very appreciative.
The cutter/press had beautiful wooden handles, each handle being about 9/10 inches long attached to a very solid brass mechanism which had springing within it. From memory I think you could have bakery's name set up on the stamp. It was clearly a professional and quality machine of its time . The brass cutting and stamping mechanism had dimensions of approximately 3 and a half inches diameter with a depth of 4/5 inches with two solid wooden handles.

Many thanks

Jim

It sounds like a rolling cutter. Modern versions are still produced for cutting everything from biscuits, donuts, and croissants.

But the inclusion of a spring mechanism is unusual give the tool is and was a manual cutter.

google: antique commercial rolling dough cutter to see if anything resembles the tool you remember.

Modern revolving dough cutters.
http://practicalbaker.bakery.com/pb/pastry_cutters.asp

Reaction score
Would you happen to have a picture of this item?
Thanks for your interest. No, I don't have a photo, only a fairly sad drawing ( scribble) attached but it does show a likenes to style and construction.

Attachments

• drawing butter biscuit press.jpg
    drawing butter biscuit press.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 480
Reaction score
It sounds like a rolling cutter. Modern versions are still produced for cutting everything from biscuits, donuts, and croissants.

But the inclusion of a spring mechanism is unusual give the tool is and was a manual cutter.

google: antique commercial rolling dough cutter to see if anything resembles the tool you remember.

Modern revolving dough cutters.
http://practicalbaker.bakery.com/pb/pastry_cutters.asp
Thanks very much for your info. Will have a search when I get back home.

Reaction score
Thanks for your interest. No, I don't have a photo, only a fairly sad drawing ( scribble) attached but it does show a likenes to style and construction.

It's a good drawing! I had to ask, because I couldn't picture it in my mind. Now, if you said "rolling donut cutter", I could have probably figured that one out.

I was imagining something like a brass cookie press that was spring loaded, with a big wooden handle on it.

But as Norcal said, I don't think I've ever heard of a spring loaded one. I'm not sure what the spring would do, unless it would be to push out the cut piece as you roll it along.

If you find it, post a pic here for us!

Reaction score
It's a good drawing! I had to ask, because I couldn't picture it in my mind. Now, if you said "rolling donut cutter", I could have probably figured that one out.

I was imagining something like a brass cookie press that was spring loaded, with a big wooden handle on it.

But as Norcal said, I don't think I've ever heard of a spring loaded one. I'm not sure what the spring would do, unless it would be to push out the cut piece as you roll it along.

If you find it, post a pic here for us!

Firstly, thanks for all your interest , guys. However, I need to point something out and that is that this cutter is not rolled forward as the donut cutters appear to be. It cuts and impresses each piece of dough one at a time by a vertical movement. As you will see by the side view, the cylindrical shape only allows a vertical, downward push to cut the shape.

Reaction score
Firstly, thanks for all your interest , guys. However, I need to point something out and that is that this cutter is not rolled forward as the donut cutters appear to be. It cuts and impresses each piece of dough one at a time by a vertical movement. As you will see by the side view, the cylindrical shape only allows a vertical, downward push to cut the shape.

Sorry I can't be of more help, I've never seen a double handled biscuit cutter that cuts a single biscuit. Normally a cutter that cuts one biscuit at a time has a single handle. So it could be a cutter that was specific to a single manufacturer or it could've been custom-made.

Reaction score
Sorry I can't be of more help, I've never seen a double handled biscuit cutter that cuts a single biscuit. Normally a cutter that cuts one biscuit at a time has a single handle. So it could be a cutter that was specific to a single manufacturer or it could've been custom-made.

OH!!!

I see what you are saying now. So it IS kind of like the cookie presses and biscuit cutters I was thinking about, it just has two handles.

Yes, it could have been custom made, or hand made by someone who wanted it, or even a purchased one that was re-made with two handles on it.

Hmmmm.......interesting.

Ok, well the closest thing I could find online, as far as images go, is this cutter........
It was made for cutting anything that was round.......cookies, burgers, biscuits, etc....

vintage-androck-cookie-hamburger-press-biscuit-cutter-3-3-4-wide-wood-handle-0bc06763086d61fa24785b1aeafc725f.jpg

s-l300.jpg

Yours may be a variation of this, or vice-versa.

Reaction score
OH!!!

I see what you are saying now. So it IS kind of like the cookie presses and biscuit cutters I was thinking about, it just has two handles.

Yes, it could have been custom made, or hand made by someone who wanted it, or even a purchased one that was re-made with two handles on it.

Hmmmm.......interesting.

Ok, well the closest thing I could find online, as far as images go, is this cutter........
It was made for cutting anything that was round.......cookies, burgers, biscuits, etc....

vintage-androck-cookie-hamburger-press-biscuit-cutter-3-3-4-wide-wood-handle-0bc06763086d61fa24785b1aeafc725f.jpg

s-l300.jpg

Yours may be a variation of this, or vice-versa.

Yes, repurposing and modifying gadgets to suit our needs is something we bakers never hesitate to do.:rolleyes:

Ask a Question