Low carb bread alternative

Reaction score
Hi,

On a quest to lose some weight, I had to figure out lower carb alternatives to the foods I love.
One of those foods (as I know most people will agree with me) is bread.

I read up and experimented with different ideas until I managed to get together a decent replacement.

The things I make now can be used to make flat bases (for maybe pizzas) or muffin shaped bread (that I use to spread peanut butter or clotted cream onto):

• 4 whole eggs
  • tea spoon of baking power
  • 2 heaped table spoons of almond flour
  • butter
Get your oven up to 180 degrees.
Beat all of your eggs together with the baking powder and almond flour.
While you let the baking powder kick in, use some butter to grease up a muffin tin (the mixture is enough for 4 good sized muffins) - or grease up a shallow base tin if you're after a pizza base.

Pour in the mixture and pop in the middle shelf of your pre-heated oven for around 20 minutes - the mixture will rise alot.

The texture is not exactly bread but it hits to spot when I want to spread to peanut butter or cream onto something (Atkins diet, in case anyone is wondering why I cut out the carbs only to load up on fat).

I hope I managed to make sense and that someone finds it useful :)

Thanks

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for sharing, this sounds like a great alternative. Actually I had heard about almond flour being a great alternative before (specially for diabetics), but I hadn't taken the time to actually look for a recipe (I was planing to do it later), but it looks like I've found the winner :)

Reaction score
You probably already know, but just in case you make the same mistake as me:
Grease the tins else you'll never get the food out in one piece :p

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing the recipe! I've really been trying to watch my carb intake - I find that the majority of what I eat is carb based - and I need to try and rectify that balance to include more protein and so forth.

This sounds like it would be a good substitute for pizza bases like you said - I'll have to try it out the next time I have the craving for pizza!

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat, so thanks for sharing this. I have tried some other options that I really didn't care for much. This one sounds much better. I think I'll try it out for pizza as well.

How is it suited for say an open faced sandwich? Would that work too?

Reaction score
I'm currently trying to lose weight as well and I couldn't thank you enough for this!! I am also new to baking this is really a good help :)

Ask a Question