Low Carb Bread

Reaction score
I really, really want some bread right now. I've been researching and testing low carb bread recipes, but so far... not so good.

Does anyone have a tested recipe, one you've actually tried, that tastes good? I'd be forever grateful.

Reaction score
This one had me interested, a low carb bread. What a concept and why? The very concept to me seems odd, but hey ho as they say. But saying that I think I remember my mother buying some low carb bread back 18 months ago and I couldn't help feeling that it wasn't very nice. It certainly didn't look very nice.

This gives a list of what to look for and what to avoid when buying low carb breads.
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/whattoeat/a/Healthy-Lower-Carb-Bread.htm

Interestingly sourdough breads are good ones to look out for, which is something I have been baking a lot of recently. There is a link in here to the sourdough starter I got going. So a sourdough with a high gluten wholemeal flour would seem like a good bet if I am reading things correctly and one that is not too finely milled plus adding hemp protein flour and/or ground flax or almond/coconut flour would make it an even better bet.

This looked to be an interesting recipe for a low carb "bread".
http://www.thelondoner.me/2014/03/mums-low-carb-bread.html

Reaction score
Thank you so much! This is some great info.

I know, it does sound weird, Connie. I am so addicted to bread though, and of course, it tends to be loaded with carbs. It IS carbs haha.
Most of the store bought options I tried are not nice, as you said. That's why I thought homemade might be better.

I did find a nice looking "flatbread" that is mostly made from ground cauliflower and spinach and is held together with cheese. I might give that one a try too.

Reaction score
Gluten free does not always mean low carb. White rice flour has as many simple carbs as white wheat.

Ezekiel bread comes to mind as a recipe that would probably have less carbs and better balanced overall. These recipes are fairly complex. I've never tried it myself, but I know they can me done at home.

Ask a Question