Low fat Rhubarb Crumble muffins

Reaction score
I know that a lot of folk here are on the recipe for tasty recipes that are also healthy, so you gotta try these! I made these Rhubarb Crumble Muffins at the weekend and they were really good, and pretty low fat for muffins. They are just 214 calories each :)

Rhubarb Crumble Muffins recipe

Rhubarb crumble muffins.jpg

I couldn't get my hands on buttermilk so I used 100ml natural yoghurt and 25ml milk instead which worked fine. They were really soft and moist, and the rhubarb added a really lovely tangy flavour. They also freeze really well which is a massive bonus - I love having little treats available.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Oh, this photo of a rhubarb muffin just makes me salivate looking at it! If you are vegan or have dairy issues, you can substitute the buttermilk with 1 C. of raw cashews soaked in 1 C. of water, water dumped and replaced with 1 C. of fresh water and 2 teaspoons of lemon juice, and then spun up in a high speed blender. A flax or chia "egg" is a standard vegan egg substitution (1 tablespoon ground flax or chia seed in 3 tablespoons of warm water; let sit for about 15 minutes, then mix up and add to the blender with the faux buttermilk.)

I can see the rhubarb doing its little Spring awakening and can hardly wait to try this muffin recipe-- thanks for posting it!

Reaction score
Got some rhubarb from my step-dad's garden... Thinking about making these soon... :D

Reaction score
Rhubarb season is here! I'm going to make a dairy-free version of these using coconut yogurt instead of buttermilk. Can't wait :D

Reaction score
I’ve never eaten rhubarb. Years ago a friend told me it was bitter. So I was always afraid to try it. What does it taste like?

Reaction score
I’ve never eaten rhubarb. Years ago a friend told me it was bitter. So I was always afraid to try it. What does it taste like?

Yeah it can be very sour if you don't add sugar, with with just the right amount of sugar it's delicious. I don't like to add too much - it's nice when there's still a bit of tang. Difficult to describe the flavour if you've never had it before... I guess the closest flavour is apple.

To me, sweetened rhubarb tastes like the colour pink, but maybe that's because I associate pink with rhubarb :D

Reaction score
Yummmmmmm these look so good... I'll have to get out and find Rhubarb to make them though

Reaction score
Yeah it can be very sour if you don't add sugar, with with just the right amount of sugar it's delicious. I don't like to add too much - it's nice when there's still a bit of tang. Difficult to describe the flavour if you've never had it before... I guess the closest flavour is apple.

To me, sweetened rhubarb tastes like the colour pink, but maybe that's because I associate pink with rhubarb :D

Sour apple flavor doesn’t sound too bad. I think I might try it in a pie.

Reaction score
Well my plans to make these have been somewhat scuppered by the fact that we don't have any room in the freezer to store them! Even with these being low-calorie I don't think it would do us any good to eat them all quickly, so I'm trying to free up some room. I blame Ian for his recent trip to Costco... :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Hahaha, like Ian I get COSTCOitis and save myself broke. Then I finally realized that my boys are all grown and long ago left the nest, so buying in bulk does make sense anymore. I’ll die before I’m able to eat 50 lbs of hamburger!

Reaction score
Hahaha, like Ian I get COSTCOitis and save myself broke. Then I finally realized that my boys are all grown and long ago left the nest, so buying in bulk does make sense anymore. I’ll die before I’m able to eat 50 lbs of hamburger!

"Save myself broke" - never heard that phrase before, it's very appropriate for Costco!! :D His vice is their hotdogs. The freezer is packed with hotdog buns! I think I should be able to make the muffins tomorrow, thankfully :)

Ask a Question