Lumpy dough. I don't know what went wrong

Reaction score
I tried making buns today and this is the recipe I used (which I found on youtube)

270g all purpose flour
30g sugar
3g salt
6g yeast
165g warm milk
45g butter (added after kneading a bit)

The dough comes out tough, lumpy and hard to knead. (I kneaded for abt 15min though) I also used a new brand of flour, so I'm wondering it might be the case?

After baking at 180 degrees for 16min, it came out doughy and dense.
Has anyone made this kind of mistake? Does anyone know what might have gone wrong?

Any advice is appreciated
20200812_084334.jpg
20200812_072117.jpg

Reaction score
Well anyone can put up a video, doesn’t mean they know the first thing about baking. Did you knead the dough with flour on the work surface? If so that was part of the problem. Baking is based on the ratios of ingredients against the flour. If you add flour when kneading, you throw the ratios off. This recipe already has a low hydration at 61%.

Another thing is ingredients vary by country. Flour in the UK is very different from flour in Canada. Canadian, American, and Australian flours are all much higher in protein than UK flour. UK all purpose flour is similar to our pastry flour. So to make bread, if you are in the UK, you need to use recipes from the UK, OR you need to know the differences in the ingredients and make the changes. So if you are UK based, and the youtuber was from the US or Canada, then you would need to use strong flour, not all purpose flour.

If you are in the UK look up Bake With Jack for basic lessons on bread. He’s based in the UK. Better—he knows how to bake bread.

How to knead correctly; how to tell when dough is ready to bake; how to shape perfect bread rolls

=======

list of all Jacks videos are on the right side

Reaction score
Well anyone can put up a video, doesn’t mean they know the first thing about baking. Did you knead the dough with flour on the work surface? If so that was part of the problem. Baking is based on the ratios of ingredients against the flour. If you add flour when kneading, you throw the ratios off. This recipe already has a low hydration at 61%.

Another thing is ingredients vary by country. Flour in the UK is very different from flour in Canada. Canadian, American, and Australian flours are all much higher in protein than UK flour. UK all purpose flour is similar to our pastry flour. So to make bread, if you are in the UK, you need to use recipes from the UK, OR you need to know the differences in the ingredients and make the changes. So if you are UK based, and the youtuber was from the US or Canada, then you would need to use strong flour, not all purpose flour.

If you are in the UK look up Bake With Jack for basic lessons on bread. He’s based in the UK. Better—he knows how to bake bread.

How to knead correctly; how to tell when dough is ready to bake; how to shape perfect bread rolls

=======

list of all Jacks videos are on the right side

Thank you so much for your quick reply. I just checked the website you linked. That was very very helpful.

No, I didn't use extra flour than the recipe suggested. According to what you said, I assume I need to increase my liquid and the new flour seems to absorb more liquid?? (is there such thing? )

Unfortunately, I live in neither US nor UK. I'm from southeast Asian country. So, I don't know which country uses flour similar to mine.

Reaction score
I tried making buns today and this is the recipe I used (which I found on youtube)

270g all purpose flour
30g sugar
3g salt
6g yeast
165g warm milk
45g butter (added after kneading a bit)

The dough comes out tough, lumpy and hard to knead. (I kneaded for abt 15min though) I also used a new brand of flour, so I'm wondering it might be the case?

After baking at 180 degrees for 16min, it came out doughy and dense.
Has anyone made this kind of mistake? Does anyone know what might have gone wrong?

Any advice is appreciated
View attachment 3208View attachment 3207
At first glance...you definately burned it by over working it.
Mixed it too long and burned the yeast up. Lets see...

I just made it from those measurements ,
Kitchen temp is 26C.
Warmed milk to 40C added sugar, then dry yeast, AP flour and salt on top of flour, then soft butter.
mixed it in the machine for 30 seconds on the hook then kneaded it on the table for 1 minute,
See pic 1. smooth as a baby's bum.
To knead just fold and press 12 times, don't rip the dough, don't rush, nice and easy does it.

From ingredients to finished dough on the table was 3 minutes.

Pic 2. I rested it under a plastic bag and its almost doubled in less than 20 minutes.
Pic 3. I divided it into 6 and made them up into burger buns.
Pic 4. Placed under plastic bags for 25 minutes.
crank the oven up, wait 10 minutes for oven to heat up and toss them in to bake.

180C for 16 minutes.
Pic 5. Done.
Beginning to end was approx 90 minutes,
its just a simple soft white bread with a blob of butter.
I took some pics.
20200812_065758.jpg

20200812_072828.jpg

20200812_073233.jpg
20200812_073438.jpg
20200812_083127.jpg
20200812_065758.jpg20200812_072828.jpg20200812_073233.jpg20200812_073438.jpg20200812_065758.jpg20200812_072828.jpg20200812_073233.jpg20200812_073438.jpg20200812_083127.jpg

Reaction score
At first glance...you definately burned it by over working it.
Mixed it too long and burned the yeast up. Lets see...

I just made it from those measurements ,
Kitchen temp is 26C.
Warmed milk to 40C added sugar, then dry yeast, AP flour and salt on top of flour, then soft butter.
mixed it in the machine for 30 seconds on the hook then kneaded it on the table for 1 minute,
See pic 1. smooth as a baby's bum.
To knead just fold and press 12 times, don't rip the dough, don't rush, nice and easy does it.

From ingredients to finished dough on the table was 3 minutes.

Pic 2. I rested it under a plastic bag and its almost doubled in less than 20 minutes.
Pic 3. I divided it into 6 and made them up into burger buns.
Pic 4. Placed under plastic bags for 25 minutes.
crank the oven up, wait 10 minutes for oven to heat up and toss them in to bake.

180C for 16 minutes.
Pic 5. Done.
Beginning to end was approx 90 minutes,
its just a simple soft white bread with a blob of butter.
I took some pics.
View attachment 3210
View attachment 3211
View attachment 3212View attachment 3213View attachment 3214View attachment 3210View attachment 3211View attachment 3212View attachment 3213View attachment 3210View attachment 3211View attachment 3212View attachment 3213View attachment 3214
Oh thank you so much. I think I heated the milk and didn't wait enough time before adding to the yeast.

And did I overknead it? How do I know when to stop kneading? It didn't pass the windowpane test so, I kept kneading it for abt 15 min.

Reaction score
Oh thank you so much. I think I heated the milk and didn't wait enough time before adding to the yeast.

And did I overknead it? How do I know when to stop kneading? It didn't pass the windowpane test so, I kept kneading it for abt 15 min.

I'm done.

Reaction score
Omg. I’m reading this two years later. But you’d think someone taking their time to make it and tell you thinks would be kind. Not cut out like that if caring to already take the time. Lol. Seems like a simple question.

Reaction score
The directions were very clear... and with picture illustrations!
It's been answered twice...all in the transcript. She overworked the dough - 15 minutes instead of 3.
It's easy to overdo dough so testing must be done often.

Short of flying to her home and making the bread herself, Baker was very kind!

Ask a Question