Luscious Lemon Cake (easily dairy free)

Reaction score
This is one of those recipes I found in an old 'village' recipe book. One of those you find in a charity shop that has lurked on the shelves for years and years... I should also say I often increase the volume of syrup to 2 whole lemons which is usually 4 tbsp. of lemon juice with our lemons in the UK. It saves having 1/2 a lemon left over. It is also very easy to make dairy free - just ensure that the margarine used is dairy free and substitute the milk for water or a dairy free milk.

Ingredients
Batter
4oz/110g/1/2 cup soft margarine
6oz/170g/3/4 cup caster sugar (fine sugar)
6oz/170g/3/4 cup self raising flour (self rising flour)
60ml milk or milk alternative (water will work fine as well)
2 large eggs
grated rind of 1 lemon

Syrup
3 tbsp. icing sugar (super fine sugar)
3 tbsp. fresh lemon juice

Method
  • Preheat the oven to 350F/180C/Gas 4
  • Grease and line a 2lb loaf tine with greaseproof paper.
  • Cream the margarine and sugar together until nice and light and fluffy. It should change to a much paler colour than the margarine originally was even if using brown caster sugar.
  • add the eggs, sifted flour, grated lemon rind and milk and mix to a soft batter forms.
  • Pour into the tin and smooth the top down.
  • Cook for 40-50 minutes until firm.
  • Mix the sifted icing sugar with the lemon juice and pour over the cake as soon as it comes out of the oven.
  • Now allow the cake to cool completely in the tin.
  • Serve once cold.

Reaction score
This sounds like something my grandmother would bake. Thanks a lot for sharing! I'm a bit lactose intolerant, I prefer recipes that don't call for dairy products most of the time! Cool share! Thanks a lot!

Reaction score
I enjoy lemony treats, so this sounds like a great recipe to me, Connie. Is this the one you were talking about before? It sounds simple enough and very tasty. Lemon seems so refreshing, so a bite of this after dinner sounds terrific. Thanks!

Reaction score
Yes, it is. I thought I would post it up because you reminded me to!

Reaction score
Yes, it is. I thought I would post it up because you reminded me to!

Well, thank you. I might just make it this weekend. My oldest daughter and her family are coming over, and she enjoys lemon treats. This would be the perfect thing to bake for her. Now, I just have to figure out what I'm making for a main course, lol.

Ask a Question