Tips for Perfect Macarons: Baking for a Baby Shower

Reaction score
I've been experimenting with different macaron techniques for quite a while now (about 3-4 years). I've learned the Italian method gives the best results for me. I typically bake for fun and have never done an order for an event. One of my friends has asked me to make these picky little cookies for a baby shower and I'm nervous about it. Since this time it actually matters that it comes out right and perfect.

Most recipes I find, I usually cut the recipe in half or have extra batter that doesn't make it onto my two trays and I just toss the extra batter. But since I'm making a larger order, I want to know if I can pipe the extra batter onto parchment paper and let it sit till the rest are done baking in the oven. I typically pipe the macarons out and let it sit for about 30 minutes to create the film. Will the macarons still have the same results if they sit for a longer time? From the time when I pipe them all out, bake the first two trays, then put the rest in the oven? Or should I stick to keep making half a recipe?

Reaction score
I've been experimenting with different macaron techniques for quite a while now (about 3-4 years). I've learned the Italian method gives the best results for me. I typically bake for fun and have never done an order for an event. One of my friends has asked me to make these picky little cookies for a baby shower and I'm nervous about it. Since this time it actually matters that it comes out right and perfect.

Most recipes I find, I usually cut the recipe in half or have extra batter that doesn't make it onto my two trays and I just toss the extra batter. But since I'm making a larger order, I want to know if I can pipe the extra batter onto parchment paper and let it sit till the rest are done baking in the oven. I typically pipe the macarons out and let it sit for about 30 minutes to create the film. Will the macarons still have the same results if they sit for a longer time? From the time when I pipe them all out, bake the first two trays, then put the rest in the oven? Or should I stick to keep making half a recipe?

The macarons should be fine baking one sheet at a time. I do it no problem.

And since you don’t know me from Eve, so have no reason to take my word for it, rest assure baking one sheet at a time one by the pros too.

Dorie Greenspan, American baker, author of a dozen baking books, who lives half of each year in France, who bakes with the best pastry chefs in the world including macaron master Pierre Hermès, bakes one sheet at a time. Greenspan also uses the Italian method and in her cookbook, Dorie’s Cookies, she instructs baking one sheet at a time.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum @Elaine :) I've not made macarons for a while, but when I did I didn't notice a difference between letting them form a skin and putting them in the oven straight away... but maybe that's just me. I agree that one tray at a time is a good idea though, you'll get more consistent results that way.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum @Elaine :) I've not made macarons for a while, but when I did I didn't notice a difference between letting them form a skin and putting them in the oven straight away... but maybe that's just me. I agree that one tray at a time is a good idea though, you'll get more consistent results that way.

Not just you, the baker extraordinaire, the fabulous Ms.Stella Parks, bakes right after piping, no rest at all.

Parks uses the French Method. I did not mention it in my post because I do not know if the method is a factor in whether to rest or not. What method do you use?

The pastry chef that taught me to make macarons used the French Method—and she was adamant about the rest period. So much so that even though I use the Italian Method, I always rest for fear they will fail.

Ask a Question