Macaron refrigerated?

Reaction score
Do macarons need to be kept in the refrigerator?

I have noticed bakeries keep them out and bakers put them on cakes that sit out of the fridge for days.

But I bought some from a nice supermarket that says they should be kept refrigerated. Do they really need to be? The ingredients are the same as the ones that are left sitting out.

thanks!

Reaction score
Do macarons need to be kept in the refrigerator?

I have noticed bakeries keep them out and bakers put them on cakes that sit out of the fridge for days.

But I bought some from a nice supermarket that says they should be kept refrigerated. Do they really need to be? The ingredients are the same as the ones that are left sitting out.

thanks!

Follow the instructions from the bakery.

The quality of the ingredients vary significantly between bakers.

Home bakers by cottage food law cannot sell Swiss or Italian meringue buttercream‘s because they contain real butter. They’re filling there macarons with shortening and powdered icing because these is the type of icing that meets the cottage food law in every state that mandates the food produced in a home kitchen has a water activity level of 85 or below.

And just because you see macarons on a cake in a photo doesn’t mean they weren’t refrigerated before being placed on a cake. Most event cakes are refrigerated before delivery, once they’re delivered to the venue, and only removed from the refrigerator shortly before they are to be presented for cutting.

And macarons that are placed in a bakery case are often taken from the freezer.

And many bakery cases are actually refrigerated.

All macarons with a Swiss meringue or Italian meringue buttercream have to be refrigerated because they have real butter and eggs in them.

Unless you want to potentially make yourself sick with salmonella refrigerate them.

Reaction score
Follow the instructions from the bakery.

The quality of the ingredients vary significantly between bakers.

Home bakers by cottage food law cannot sell Swiss or Italian meringue buttercream‘s because they contain real butter. They’re filling there macarons with shortening and powdered icing because these is the type of icing that meets the cottage food law in every state that mandates the food produced in a home kitchen has a water activity level of 85 or below.

And just because you see macarons on a cake in a photo doesn’t mean they weren’t refrigerated before being placed on a cake. Most event cakes are refrigerated before delivery, once they’re delivered to the venue, and only removed from the refrigerator shortly before they are to be presented for cutting.

And macarons that are placed in a bakery case are often taken from the freezer.

And many bakery cases are actually refrigerated.

All macarons with a Swiss meringue or Italian meringue buttercream have to be refrigerated because they have real butter and eggs in them.

Unless you want to potentially make yourself sick with salmonella refrigerate them.
Thanks for the detailed reply Norcalbaker! I think the rules might be different in the UK and America (is that where you are ba and perhaps the ingredients too! I had no idea about cottage food law.

I think I will just pick up the macarons from one of the patisseries near me that have told me their macarons don’t need to be refrigerated and stay on the safe side :)

Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed reply Norcalbaker! I think the rules might be different in the UK and America (is that where you are ba and perhaps the ingredients too! I had no idea about cottage food law.

I think I will just pick up the macarons from one of the patisseries near me that have told me their macarons don’t need to be refrigerated and stay on the safe side :)

It’s not the country you are in, its what inside the macaron. All Swiss and Italian meringue buttercream must be refrigerated regardless of the country it is made in. They can sit out for a couple of hours, but they are not shelf stable. It doesn’t matter if you make the meringue buttercream in the US or the UK. The presence of water at certain levels supports that the growth of bacteria, mold, and yeast in food.

Reaction score

The patisserie knows more about food than the food mkt.

Ask a Question