Macaron super disaster

Discussion in 'Cookies' started by JD443, Mar 9, 2019.

1. JD443

JD443 New Member

I have attempted to make macarons twice now and each time they have spread insanely and gone completely wrong! I don’t know what is going wrong. After the first attempt I bought an oven thermometer thinking heat was the issue, but the second time they came out the exact same, if not worse even when keeping an eye on the temperature (300 F) Any advice would be much appreciated!

Attached Files:

JD443, Mar 9, 2019
    1. Advertisements

2. JD443

Norcalbaker59 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the club. I wrote a response to a post addressing the issue of spreading. Link below.

https://www.baking-forums.com/threads/macaron-disaster.4788/

The two most important pieces of equipment for baking are a scale and oven thermometer. Baking is all science, so getting the ratios of ingredients right is key to success. No two ingredients weight the same. One cup sugar weighs 200 grams. One cup powdered sugar weighs 113 grams. One cup almond flour weighs 98 grams. The only way to get the ratio of almond flour and powdered sugar correct is by weighing the ingredients. If the ratios are off, the macarons will fail even if you get the mixing correct.

Norcalbaker59, Mar 10, 2019
    Becky likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. JD443

Becky Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum! Macarons are certainly very tricky, so don't worry too much that they didn't go right the first couple of times. It may be that you are over-beating the mixture. When you incorporate the almonds with the egg whites it will start off quite stiff and get looser and looser as you mix. You want it loose enough that it pipes easily, but not so loose that it's runny.

Becky, Mar 12, 2019
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question