Macaroni Pudding

Reaction score
I have made a great discovery.

Macaroni pudding is essentially water-boiled macaroni (or milk-boiled, but I think that risks scalding or curdling the milk), added to milk that has steeped citrus rind and plumped some dried fruit usually raisins, maybe even with some sugar and spices added (cinnamon, nutmeg, and so on) or a splash of brandy, marmalade, or nuts.

I want to bake it so that something crusty forms on top. What should the top crust be? Burnt sugar, like a creme brulee? Maybe some mild sort of cheese that still toasts and singes, to offset the sweetness? Or meringue top?

Reaction score
That sounds lovely, Ellyn. I've never made macaroni pudding, but I have made rice pudding and semolina pudding both of which I've baked in the oven - I think they're nicer that way.

On my rice pudding I dot about little pieces of butter which melt and help to form a skin like crust, but when I do semolina pudding I add a sprinkling of demerara sugar. The demerara will give your pudding a nice crust, and make it look more appetizing too.

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
On my rice pudding I dot about little pieces of butter which melt and help to form a skin like crust, but when I do semolina pudding I add a sprinkling of demerara sugar. The demerara will give your pudding a nice crust, and make it look more appetizing too.

Hope this helps.

It certainly does! I thought I hadn't heard of demerara sugar before you mentioned it, but I have looked it up and I do think that I've had it before and liked it. I imagine that would be the best to go with a macaroni pudding, too--you're right that they come out nicer when baked ;) Thanks!

Reaction score
You're welcome! If you can't get any demerara sugar where you are, try whatever light brown sugar you can find. I find that demerara gives the best crunch though. ;)

Reaction score
I've never heard of macaroni pudding but I've heard of rice pudding. It's similar to your recipe with almost all the same ingredients. Personally, I don't think I will enjoy macaroni pudding as a desert. I never tried it, but I would prefer doing it with the rice instead. That's how I remembered my mom doing it with rice, and adding sweet condensed milk.

She used to make it all the time for my siblings and I when we were younger. But now that I am older I don't really care for it anymore lol.

Last edited:
Reaction score
This recipe is totally new to me can't remember having this one in my childhood years; not sure if it would be to my like but then chances are it might be good.

Reaction score
I've never heard of macaroni pudding but I've heard of rice pudding. It's similar to your recipe with almost all the same ingredients. Personally, I don't think I will enjoy macaroni pudding as a desert. I never tried it, but I would prefer doing it with the rice instead. That's how I remembered my mom doing it with rice, and adding sweet condensed milk.

She used to make it all the time for my siblings and I when we were younger. But now that I am older I don't really care for it anymore lol.

Last month I actually re-worked some of the rice pudding recipes that I grew up with, with oatmeal. It's not awful, but rice is definitely better. There's a coconut-milk-brown-sugar-ginger-lime-rind one, and a Spanish tablea chocolate one. The former was actually better for oatmeal, but I don't think I'll try any main-ingredient-switching with macaroni. Unless, as you suggest, rice pudding in the place of this recipe...Mmm...condensed milk rice pudding...That's a good idea too! I'll try that as soon as I can. Did you use glutinous or non-glutinous rice varieties? All the rice pudding recipes that I know use glutinous rice.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Last month I actually re-worked some of the rice pudding recipes that I grew up with, with oatmeal. It's not awful, but rice is definitely better. There's a coconut-milk-brown-sugar-ginger-lime-rind one, and a Spanish tablea chocolate one. The former was actually better for oatmeal, but I don't think I'll try any main-ingredient-switching with macaroni. Unless, as you suggest, rice pudding in the place of this recipe...Mmm...condensed milk rice pudding...That's a good idea too! I'll try that as soon as I can. Did you use glutinous or non-glutinous rice varieties? All the rice pudding recipes that I know use glutinous rice.

I would stick to glutinous rice for your pudding, Ellyn. I've tried it with non glutinous versions, but they don't provide the creaminess needed for a good rice pudding. They're ok(ish) for stove top rice puddings, but the baked ones aren't the same.

I like the sound of your coconut-milk-brown-sugar-ginger-lime-rind pudding - lovely combination of ingredients! I'm just coming around to substituting coconut milk in recipes; I recently made a coconut milk and mango homemade ice cream, and it was gorgeous. I must try it next time I make a rice pudding.

Reaction score
I am not a fan of macaroni pudding. Pasta mixed with anything other than sauce, meat and vegetables turns me off. (Yes - I said it!) I am not even a big fan of macaroni salad. However, I can see the thought process behind the creation of macaroni pudding.

Rice is a food that goes well with almost anything. Pasta is a close follower. So, since so many people enjoy rice pudding, it would seem they would also gobble up a plate of macaroni pudding.

Ask a Question