Macarons

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I have been trying to bake french macarons and I can't figure out why my macarons are not drying. Everytime I bake macarons, no feet are forming. I tried aging egg whites in a room temperature. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I have been trying to bake french macarons and I can't figure out why my macarons are not drying. Everytime I bake macarons, no feet are forming. I tried aging egg whites in a room temperature. Any suggestions?

If you are sure feet are not forming due to a wet batter, you have too much moisture in your formula and/or your environment it too humid.

bake by metric weight to ensure your ratios are correct.

use the Italian meringue method— Pierre Herme doesn’t even use the French method.

make sure you use cane sugar, and don’t use any organic sugar. Beer sugar is absolutely crap sugar, no pastry chefs use it. Organic sugar is fine in some applications, but it is not refined, so it had more moisture/molasses & impurities that will cause problems in some applications.

Make sure you’re whipping your a egg whites properly. Most people don’t. Link
below if you want an explanation on how to beat egg whites and another link on science behind it you are interested.

if you live in a humid area, you need to dry the macarons for longer. Place the baking sheet on the stovetop and turn on the exhaust fan. I had to dry my macarons for an hour when I lived in Southern California near the ocean.

how to beat egg whites properly In this thread

Scroll down in the thread for explanation on science of beating egg whites

Ask a Question