Macarons

Reaction score
My daughter has asked me to make some macarons for decoration on her wedding cake. I have never attempted these before and there were 3 major problems with my first batch.
1. They browned so most of the colour was lost. 2. No foot. 3. They tasted ‘eggy ‘
Any help would be gratefully accepted.

Attachments

• 98AFCE87-2E30-494B-ACD9-8B997CE60994.jpeg
    98AFCE87-2E30-494B-ACD9-8B997CE60994.jpeg
    272.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 5BCD063B-56CB-430D-8A52-585FFCE38F20.jpeg
    5BCD063B-56CB-430D-8A52-585FFCE38F20.jpeg
    279.9 KB · Views: 14
Reaction score
Try this recipe

I would also recommend that particular almond flour.

Wilton food coloring is not heat-resistant, so fades when baked.

AmeriColor is most common food color used by bakers. ChefMaster, is also good.

ChefRubber is a brand pastry chefs use.

You can almond flour it directly from the company. I would not recommend buying it on Amazon because you don’t know who you’re getting it from.

https://mandelininc.com/

Reaction score
Try this recipe

I would also recommend that particular almond flour.

Wilton food coloring is not heat-resistant, so fades when baked.

AmeriColor is most common food color used by bakers. ChefMaster, is also good.

ChefRubber is a brand pastry chefs use.

You can almond flour it directly from the company. I would not recommend buying it on Amazon because you don’t know who you’re getting it from.

https://mandelininc.com/

Many thanks for this. As I’m in the UK these brands are not available to me but I’ll give the recipe a go with what I can get here.

Reaction score
Many thanks for this. As I’m in the UK these brands are not available to me but I’ll give the recipe a go with what I can get here.

If in the UK, Americolor should be available through cake decorating supply shops.

The cake pans in the UK are often dark metal and coated metal since aluminum bakeware is banned in the UK and EU. These metals conduct heat much more intensely. So a silicone mat like silpat is not advisable as they conduct heat, much more intensely as well.

Parchment paper is a better choice for macarons to prevent browning. You may still need to lower baking temperature as well.

If you have a fan oven, turn off the fan. If you cannot turn the fan off, you will Definitely have to reduce the baking temperature. The fan circulates the heat in the oven chamber, creating a much hotter environment.

For almond flour, what’s important for macarons is a blanched almond, very fine grind. A coarse almond powder, or one ground from a whole almond makes a gritty macaron.

Reaction score
In addition to these good responses I highly recommend sifting your almond flour (really the only flour for traditional macarons). Be patient with your sifting. It takes a bit but you will be surprised at how much grit you will not be baking into your macarons. What a lovely idea for your daughter's wedding cake. We hope you will share photos. You can do this!

Ask a Question