Machine or oven?

Reaction score
My husband makes most of our fresh bread. During the winter months, he loves making a chicken soup/stew in the crock pot, with fresh bread. He uses the bread machine to make the bread.

I think purchasing the machine was one of the best decisions we've made. He puts the ingredients in, flips a switch, and the bred is ready an hour later. We melt soy butter on each slice eaten with our soup/stew. No kneading, no anxiety.

Some people feel using a bread machine is cheating, and that making bread needs to be the labor of love it was back before electricity and indoor plumbing.

I'm flexible, but I know my husband could not make bread without the machine!

Which do you prefer, bread machines of old fashion oven baking?

Reaction score
What I prefer depends on what I am making. Our bread machine is old, though, so, it doesn't make bread in an hour. The rapid setting takes 3.5 hours. Do they really make bread that quick now? I prefer to make my bread from scratch, however, there are days when my hands won't let me knead. More often than not, when I use the machine, it's to make dough. Then I shape it, let it rise and bake it in the oven. These days, I like to braid my loaf to make it look pretty. I don't think there is a bread machine to do that, yet. ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
We got a bread machine just over a year ago and it is already starting to mess the bread up, either by not mixing the dough well or under cooking. But even when it was working fine the paddle would be stuck inside and ruin half the loaf when it came to slicing with a paddle silhouette in it. I much prefer the oven and I have so much choice to what type of bread I can make. Also making more at once is a major plus.

Reaction score
Love kneading my own bread,and doesnt take as long as the bread machine we have either-it takes 2-3 hours in ours.Also can do different shapes and rolls too which the machine doesnt do.

Reaction score
I am not adverse to bread machines, but I do think there is nothing like the old fashioned bread made by hand. Either way, fresh baked bread and homemade soups or stews is about the best thing to eat this time of year.

Reaction score
I prefer using an oven to a bread machine. The bread turns out much better if you do it the old-fashioned way and make it by hand. Then again, I prefer the old-fashioned way for all my baking. It may be more work but it tastes so much better.

Reaction score
I prefer the oven, but only because I enjoy every aspect of bread making... even if I'm not all that good at it lol. The smell, the feel of the dough.. ok the kneading I can do without, but I just love making the bread, start to finish. I feel bad seeing questions like this so often now. I'll go on and on about how I'd never use a mix or a bread machine and all the reasons I would never blah blah blah, but that's my personal thing.. I love baking. It's sad and silly for anyone to feel bad for short cuts (I know that's not what you were getting at with the op).. life is busy and the extra time is a benefit. The outcome is more important than the method, right?

Reaction score
I like how bread machines operate. It is easier to bake bread with a machine.. I do not own a bread machine but my mom has one. I bake bread the old fashion way. I hope to get one soon.

Ask a Question