Making a Brisket for dinner tonight

Reaction score
I really hope it turns out!! I've tried making brisket in the past and it never just falls apart like it is supposed to! I've watched several shows on Food Network about making them and they make it look so easy!

So, I have the brisket, with potatoes and onions in the crock pot on low for 8 1/2 hours. The recipe I got out of my Kraft Food magazine said low for 8 to 9 hours. I also made a barbecue and flour sauce that I poured over the veggies. So, after it cooks I am supposed to take the meat and veggies out and add more of the sauce and turn it to high for 10 minutes to make a "gravy". Keeping my fingers crossed that it tastes good! My family is tired of me trying things that turn out dry or tasteless!!! LOL

What is your success with brisket? Let me know!! :)

Reaction score
I just had to let you know that the brisket turned out so good! I was really happy with it and my family gobbled it up!! Score!!! :) I will be using the recipe over and over again!!!

I posted the recipe in Favorite Crockpot Recipes in the forum (Off topic chat) if you want to check it out.

The potatoes were even good. I used the baby reds, not just the small red potatoes. They were so tender and yummy! For some reason when I use russet or yukon or any other kind of potato they just don't taste the same after they've cooked for that long. These were not mushy but cooked perfectly! I guess I will be using them more often in my crock pot recipes!!

Oh, and the onions were really good too. If you don't like cooked onions you might not think so. But they do marinate in the barbecue sauce for all that time so they had extra flavor.

If you decide to give this recipe a try - let me know how it turns out! :)

Reaction score
I have never made my own brisket. In fact, I had never tasted brisket until 2011 and it was so delicious. I had always heard about brisket on cooking shows but it was something none of my family ever made. We really missed out because it is so good!

Reaction score
I have made plenty of brisket dinners myself since I have been living on my own, but for some odd reason the last one I made didn't come out the way i remember. The meat didn't feel like meat, it felt more like grizzle! and it had a bit of a sour smell to it, not a lot but enough for my extremely sensitive nose to notice! My Husband didn't smell anything, he didn't even taste anything wrong with it. It just didn't smell like i remembered it to be. We bought it a few days prier, and let it thaw in the refrigerator. Not sure what happened!

Reaction score
I made some brisket recently, and found an amazing recipe to use up leftovers. Any fans of Beef Rendang here? This recipe is so easy, you have to try it! It is taken from 'Save With Jamie' by Jamie Oliver:

Ingredients:
2 onions
2 large thumb-sized pieces of ginger
4 cloves of garlic
1 bunch of fresh coriander (30g)
1-2 fresh red chillies
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
olive oil
450g leftover cooked brisket
1 x 400g tin of light coconut milk
1 lime

To serve with:
Chapatis
Basmati Rice
Fat-Free Natural Yogurt

Method:
Peel the onions, ginger and garlic, put into a food processor with the coriander stalks, chilli, tumeric and cinnamon and blitz into a paste. Put a lug of oil into a large frying pan on a low heat, then scape in the paste and fry for around 15 minutes, or until lightly golden, stirring occasionally.

Chop or roughly shred the brisket and stir it into the pan, then add the coconut milk, half a tin’s worth of water and a pinch of salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer for a further 10 to 15 minutes, or until thickened and reduced, stirring occasionally. Meanwhile, cook the rice according to packet instructions with a pinch of salt. Simply heat the chapatis through in a dry pan, or warm them in the microwave (you want them to be flexible).

Finely grate the lime zest into the curry and squeeze in half the juice, then cut the remaining half into wedges. Season the rendang to perfection, then serve with the fluffy white rice and a sprinkling of coriander leaves, with the lime wedges, yoghurt and chapatis on the side. Absolute heaven.

Ask a Question