Making Buns from Bread Dough

Reaction score
A week ago, I made a dough that was for three loafs of bread. I made bread sticks with the first loaf and a braided loaf with the second. The bread sticks turned out great. The braided loaf needed to rise a bit longer but, it was still really good. For the final dough, I was thinking I'd make regular buns.

Do I need to do anything special, like let them rise longer? How long do I cook them?

Reaction score
I use regular bread dough for a lot of things such as cinnamon rolls, pizza crust, dinner rolls, breads of different kinds, cinnamon raisin bread ect. Everything has always turned out good, however, for the sweet breads I do add more sugar to the dough. Just keep watch on your creation, and as it browns you will be able to tell when it is ready to be gobbled up..

Reaction score
There is no reason why you should not. I would do a bit of research to see it the need to be bake at a different temperature or using a slightly different method.

Reaction score
It kind of depends on the dough recipe actually.

I use some doughs for lots of different things like bread sticks, etc. But they're not necessarily going to be the same ones that fluff up and have that light fluffy feeling that buns might. Then again, I use a bread dough for pork buns sometimes so stuffing them works out well, too.

Reaction score
A week ago, I made a dough that was for three loafs of bread. I made bread sticks with the first loaf and a braided loaf with the second. The bread sticks turned out great. The braided loaf needed to rise a bit longer but, it was still really good. For the final dough, I was thinking I'd make regular buns.

Do I need to do anything special, like let them rise longer? How long do I cook them?

Regular dough for bread is different to the dough you make for sweet breads. If you're making a sweet bread, you need to make what is called an 'enriched dough', which contains eggs, butter, sugar, and sometimes milk, as well as what other flavorings you want to make the end product.

An enriched dough will be a little on the wetter side than a regular bread dough, and a bit stickier too, so using a stand mixer with a bread dough hook would be a help to you. You can still do it by hand, but it will be trickier.

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
I always thought you could use the enriched dough for most things but reading comments, there are certain doughs better for certain things. I will certainly remember this when I go back to baking some different breads and such.

Ask a Question