Making chips at home

Fae

Reaction score
Yesterday, I baked up two pans full of pita wedges to make chips for my homemade hummus. They came out a little overdone, but otherwise tasty. I've also tried several rotations of kale chips in the past, though those work much better as macaroni and cheese topping than they do for real dipping, as well as white corn tortilla chips loaded with smoke paprika.

Has anyone else tried out baking their own chips out of breads and veggies? Do you have a favorite experiment out of them?

Reaction score
If you know the local spinach that we call talinum, we experimented on it one time. The dip is made of flour and egg with a little salt where the spinach leaves are dipped before frying. When the chips turned brown, we harvested it from the pan and let it cool. It was good to the taste but the problem is that the crust (the cooked dip) separates from the leaf upon biting as if the flour mix did not fully attach to the leaves. Until now we haven't repeated cooking that crunchy spinach leaves because of that issue.

Reaction score
I haven't tried making these yet, although I did post a recipe for how to do so in another thread here. I haven't had the pita bread on hand yet to try out the recipe. I have made my own potato chips in the past, from scratch, and love those. They're delicious and thin, and I know there are no preservatives or other questionable ingredients, so I enjoy them more than store bought. I haven't made my own tortilla chips in quite a while. When I did so, I deep fried them, but the next time I make them, I'll try baking them in the oven instead.

Reaction score
I am wondering if I did so the fact that I have to think so hard probably means I have not. I think it is great that you are that ambitious. There are some things I just don't run towards and making my own chips is one of them. Maybe you have inspired me for the future @Fae. Don't remember if I welcomed you to the forum. If I haven't "Welcome".

Fae

Reaction score
Thank you for the welcome @Winterybella!

The motivation for making my own chips of late has mostly been a health thing--trying to figure out how to make crunchy, salty snacks "relatively" healthy while also not breaking the bank. Making hummus is a lot more cost and quantity effective than buying the little plastic tubs. It's a bit harder to figure out getting the same cost-effectiveness on other types of chips. The bonus joy so far is in making up my own flavorings.

I would say chips are not ambitious as making up a pastry recipe. The chips might come out a little over or under done, but all sorts of things can go awry in pastry! In that sense, it's great to pick a veggie you like and experiment. :D

Reaction score
I've done the same with pita bread before, just cut it into little triangle pieces, added a bit of salt and olive oil spray and baked briefly - they turned out well and they're nice and simple. And I am a HUGE hummus fan - love it on everything from sandwich wraps to a veggie dip for carrots and celery and things like that! My almost 2 year old is obsessed with it too - she will just eat it from the spoon!!

Reaction score
I've done the same with pita bread before, just cut it into little triangle pieces, added a bit of salt and olive oil spray and baked briefly - they turned out well and they're nice and simple. And I am a HUGE hummus fan - love it on everything from sandwich wraps to a veggie dip for carrots and celery and things like that! My almost 2 year old is obsessed with it too - she will just eat it from the spoon!!

My two favorite ways to eat hummus are either on pita chips or directly from the spoon. Sometimes I'll just grab a spoonful for an afternoon snack if my energy is lagging. I haven't made it from scratch yet, but hope to in the future. I don't think it would be that difficult. I still haven't made any chips lately, since I haven't had pitas in the house, but those are another thing I'm planning to make from scratch at some point.

Ask a Question