Making muffins moist; what are some healthy options?

Reaction score
My mom showed me a nice trick for keeping her muffins moist and healthy; apple sauce. It is very subtle within the final product and increases the healthiness of your baked goods (decreasing the fat and increasing fibre content). The taste is still amazing though! Does anyone have an healthy substitutes for butter/oil?

Reaction score
Pumpkin!!

In the Fall, I buy up a bunch of pumpkins and puree them. Then I use the pureee in place of butter/oil. You'd be surprised how much you can't actually taste the pumpkin in many muffins/breads.

Here's a picture of the girls a few years ago during one of our "bust all the pumpkins and pull out the guts/seeds" events:

P1000558.jpg

Reaction score
Love it! My husband is from England, and this past Halloween was the first year he actually carved a pumpkin! I couldn't believe it; they also don't eat pumpkin pie (shocking ha-ha). That's an amazing tip. The seeds are amazing to use as well; I always incorporate all types of seeds into my bread. I am definitely going to give that a try this Fall.

Reaction score
Buttermilk works wonders - whenever I use it in a recipe it is always incredibly moist. The only thing to be wary of with apple sauce is that it can be high in sugar, so you might want to adjust your sugar quantities.

Reaction score
I never thought of using pumpkin as a substitute. I am definitely going to try it, when fall rolls around. Not eating pumpkin pie? Why, that is just outrageous! I can not even contemplate a life where pumpkin pie does not exist! :)

Reaction score
Applesause , greek yogurt and pureed fruit all make great additions to healthy muffins. They lighten things up and keep your muffins moist. This also gives your muffins a little added flavor.

Ask a Question