Malva Pudding

Reaction score
I just finished the batter for malva pudding. It's in the oven baking right now and I realized that the recipe called for bread flour and I used AP flour. I've made this a few times before and it always came out great. Of course I always use the right ingredients.

We're not going to eat this till after dinner . My question is, should I pour the sauce over as it comes out of the oven. Or can I wait until I'm ready to serve it.

Reaction score
I just finished the batter for malva pudding. It's in the oven baking right now and I realized that the recipe called for bread flour and I used AP flour. I've made this a few times before and it always came out great. Of course I always use the right ingredients.

We're not going to eat this till after dinner . My question is, should I pour the sauce over as it comes out of the oven. Or can I wait until I'm ready to serve it.

Using All Purpose flour should be fine. The recipes in the US usually call for all Purpose flour.

Yes, pour the sauce on when the cake is hot from the oven. The creme sauce is meant to absorbed into the cake. But it’s also meant to be served hot. So reheat it for about 10 minutes just before serving.

Sorry for any confusion in terminology. In the US we call flour batter “cake” and creamy egg custards “pudding”.

Reaction score
Oops..I didn't pour the sauce over the cake when it was done baking. I'm reheating the cake in the oven while I make the sauce. Hopefully this works out ok.

Reaction score
I had never heard of it until my wife and I had a date night last year. She ordered chocolate cake. Me, being the adventurer I am, ordered the only thing on the menu I didn't recognize. I let her try some and she ate my entire dessert!

Reaction score
Glad to hear it! I'd never heard or Malva Pudding before but I had a quick Google and it looks like sponge pudding (which is popular here in the UK). Yum :)

Americans had never heard of it either until Oprah published a recipe in her magazine. Given its cake called a “pudding” I thought is was a UK creation. But it’s a South African creation. And boy, what a creation it is:p

Ask a Question