Marble Cake Recipe

Reaction score
Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pan
  • 1 3/4 cups cake flour (not self-rising)
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 3 large eggs, room temperature
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 2/3 cup buttermilk, room temperature
  • 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon Dutch-process cocoa powder

Reaction score
STEP 1
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Generously butter a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan; set aside. Whisk together the cake flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.

STEP 2
  • In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until combined after each addition and scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Mix in vanilla. Add flour mixture in 2 batches, alternating with the buttermilk and beginning and ending with the flour. Set aside 1/3 of the batter.

STEP 3
    In a bowl, mix cocoa and 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons boiling water with a rubber spatula until smooth. Add the cocoa mixture to the reserved cake batter; stir until well combined.

Reaction score
  1. STEP 4
    Spoon batters into the prepared pan in 2 layers, alternating spoonfuls ofvanilla and chocolate to simulate a checkerboard. To create marbling, run a table knife (or wooden skewer) through the batters in a swirling motion.
  2. STEP 5
    1. Bake, rotating the pan halfway through, until a cake tester comes out clean, 40 to 50 minutes. Transfer pan to a rack to cool 10 minutes. Turn out cake from pan and cool completely on the rack. Cake can be kept in an airtight container at room temperature up to 3 days.

Reaction score
I used to be nervous about trying to marble a cake, but this sounds too good not to try (and the directions are pretty clear, too). Thanks so much for posting this! :)

Reaction score
Thank you for giving directions that are so easy to follow. I love making homemade recipes instead of buying the boxed mixes. I am definitely going to add this one to my recipe box.

Reaction score
After seeing my aunt make it I was always fascinated with making it but I could never find the good detailed directions. Thank you so much!

Reaction score
My mother used to make marble cake for my birthday every year. It was my favorite but that was the only time I ever asked for it. I guess I wanted it to be special and not an everyday thing. I loved watching her mix the batters and then swirl them together in the baking pans.

Ask a Question