Melted fondant

D_B

Reaction score
I made a 3D cake and covered with homemade fondant. I did not put it in the fridge but I am sure the cake was too cold and caused my fondant to melt overnight (Ugh). I peeled off all the fondant to redo it but the cake itself still has the melted residue on it...Can I just lay new fondant over this or do I need to add another thin layer of frosting? Or what....I don't work with fondant often and I have never looked anything up in a forum! There are a lot of answers as to why the fondant melts/sweats but nothing on the repair that I have found. PLEASE HELP

Reaction score
I made a 3D cake and covered with homemade fondant. I did not put it in the fridge but I am sure the cake was too cold and caused my fondant to melt overnight (Ugh). I peeled off all the fondant to redo it but the cake itself still has the melted residue on it...Can I just lay new fondant over this or do I need to add another thin layer of frosting? Or what....I don't work with fondant often and I have never looked anything up in a forum! There are a lot of answers as to why the fondant melts/sweats but nothing on the repair that I have found. PLEASE HELP

Fondant is essentially pure sugar. Sugar dissolves in water. When you were refrigerate a cake and take it out of the refrigerator the difference from the cold cake and the warm air causes condensation. Condensation is water.

That water dissolves the fondant.

No offense, but if you have to ask the question as to whether or not you have to remove the residue of the old fondant, you really like the fundamental skills to be working with fondant.

Fondant shows every tiny flaw on the cake. Not only do you need to scrape off every speck of that old fondant, but you you need to redo the buttercream coating to make sure it is perfectly smooth.

And I hope you degassed your cake before you started the process, because if you did not, there’s a chance that air bubbles will form under the fondant.

Reaction score
Repair is simple, strip it all off, mix up more buttercream and recoat.
Remove and replace is better than trying to fix.

D_B

Reaction score
Thank you. This is what I did but it still had minor issues. Practice practice practice I guess

Ask a Question