Melting frosting

Can anyone help?

• Anyone having the same experience

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • I'm a begginner

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
I seem to always have a problem with the frosting melting when I'm readyto decorate my cake. I try to get a few different methods to see what works best for me. I tried sitting it in the frig for a little whle but when it's time to put the frosting on the frosting is thick and the cake has no heat to help smothen it on. I'm just going to keep working on it.

Reaction score
Before you know you will get the hang of it. It took me a lot of practice. Practice makes perfect.

Reaction score
I use to have the same issue. Try placing the icing in the fridge until you are ready to frost the cake. Take a butter knife and stir the frosting until it is smooth. The heat from your hand will smooth out the frosting enough for it to go on smooth.

I seem to always have a problem with the frosting melting when I'm readyto decorate my cake. I try to get a few different methods to see what works best for me. I tried sitting it in the frig for a little whle but when it's time to put the frosting on the frosting is thick and the cake has no heat to help smothen it on. I'm just going to keep working on it.

Reaction score
Perhaps you could use more icing sugar, or maybe if you use a little less liquid it will stop it being so runny. It does take practice to get it perfect though, I often have this issue myself but I had noticed adding more icing sugar than I used to helped a lot.

Reaction score
Maybe you could try making the icing right when you're ready to apply it. This way you don't have to worry about the consistency when spreading it.

Reaction score
I think I would have to agree with some of the others about putting the icing in the fridge until you are ready to use or don't make it until you are ready to use it , either way seems like a good idea to keep it from melting and being so runny, and of course making sure the cake is completely cooled down before applying the icing is a must too, and like others have said practice makes perfect.

Reaction score
Like Dorothy said, it would definitely help allowing the cake to cool down before applying the icing. And I completely agree with what everyone else has placed down for advice, I used to have the same exactly problem when it came to frosting my cakes. What I do is I just wait until I have finished baking and place my cake in the fridge until it cools, while I'm waiting on it I just scrap together my icing and make sure to keep it more as a paste than anything by keeping it stirred. Practice definitely makes perfect!

Reaction score
That is true it is also better to keep the icing more as a paste like iamberr said, and cooling the cake in the fridge is definitely a great way to make sure the cake cools down completely and rapidly before applying the icing.

Reaction score
I usually encounter this issue. There are times when the icing is runny, but the taste is good. There are also times where I add more sugar to give it more texture, but it turns out too sweet.

Reaction score
This was a major issue for me also. I tried several different things, but found if I allow just a few extra minutes for cooling and then mix icing right before I am ready to use it that it tends not to "melt" on me as badly. I am still trying to get it just right but it has definately improved this way.

Reaction score
I let my cake stand on the counter for about 10-15 minutes, and then I put it in the fridge for 1 to 2 hours. The longer its in the fridge the better it will be for icing. I'm always impatient and take it from the fridge early and then my icing ends slipping off from the the cake. Tghe best thing for me to do is set a timer and clean up my mess and do other things while I wait. Hope this helps. Good Luck!

Reaction score
If your frosting melts when decorating, it is probably because the cake is not cooled completely.

Reaction score
You probably use too much liquid in your frosting. Most people either use cream or regular milk when they prepare their frosting. I usually double or triple glaze my cakes and never worry about this problem.

Reaction score
I noticed you did not mention what type of frosting, whether from scratch or a can.
I have noticed the canned frosting being a little on the runny side. So scratch might work out better.

Reaction score
Before you know you will get the hang of it. It took me a lot of practice. Practice makes perfect.

True, same thing happened to me and, even up to date, sometimes I have trouble working with the frosting, particularly because I don't do it very often.

Reaction score
Have you tried using a decorators bag with a tip. It will squeeze the frosting on the cake, making it more manageable to spread.
The cake needs to be cool enough to not produce steam as this is the cause of melting the frosting.
Also, ensure is not liquidy. I have melted plenty of frosting in my days. Oh I have made my share of messes.

Reaction score
I have the same problem with my frosting melting. I even put it in the freezer seeing if it would be better but no instead it get worst. so I call a friend to come and show me what am doing wrong and she promise she would, so I am here waiting until she comes.

Reaction score
Try sitting the icing in a much cooler area then where you usually have it stored. I often notice that putting icing in the fridge hardens it causing it to be much harder to work with. If all else fails, stick in freezer for 15 minutes.

Reaction score
The same is the case with me. I'm new to cake making and frosting is the major issue with me. It melts no matter how hard I try. I tried different options but still nothing worked. It is disappointing.

Ask a Question