Memories in the kitchen

Reaction score
For years I’ve loved cooking and baking. I remember being at the counter with my Mom and Grandmothers when they worked in the kitchen. These days whenever I’m in the kitchen I can’t help but remember my Grandmas who passed when I was younger.
The one who still remains a bit of a mystery to this day is my paternal Grandfather. After being diagnosed with lung cancer he moved into our home with my Mom taking over most of his care. I was so young at the time that it’s hard to remember clearly. It was 1996 and I would have been about six or seven years old.

Last year for my birthday my Dad gave me a gift that became one of my most important possessions.
A cookbook that my Grandpa made back in the 1930s. I don’t have the exact year but he made it for his parents. This little book means so much to me and now when I’m in the kitchen cooking or baking I sometimes think of him.

Attachments

• 6B21DAF4-3E1A-4E94-80EF-A30E9368F0D0.jpeg
    6B21DAF4-3E1A-4E94-80EF-A30E9368F0D0.jpeg
    145.9 KB · Views: 458
  • 60E344F7-E5DF-4FFF-9AB3-8BCE1B8D8882.jpeg
    60E344F7-E5DF-4FFF-9AB3-8BCE1B8D8882.jpeg
    119.9 KB · Views: 430
Reaction score
For years I’ve loved cooking and baking. I remember being at the counter with my Mom and Grandmothers when they worked in the kitchen. These days whenever I’m in the kitchen I can’t help but remember my Grandmas who passed when I was younger.
The one who still remains a bit of a mystery to this day is my paternal Grandfather. After being diagnosed with lung cancer he moved into our home with my Mom taking over most of his care. I was so young at the time that it’s hard to remember clearly. It was 1996 and I would have been about six or seven years old.

Last year for my birthday my Dad gave me a gift that became one of my most important possessions.
A cookbook that my Grandpa made back in the 1930s. I don’t have the exact year but he made it for his parents. This little book means so much to me and now when I’m in the kitchen cooking or baking I sometimes think of him.
Wow, this is beautiful. What a treasure your father has passed on to you!! It's truly wonderful that this cookbook has been kept and treasured all these years. To me, something like this is the true meaning of a family heirloom.

Reaction score
That is just wonderful! Wonderful your dad passed it on to you, he knew you would treasure it.

It was wonderful of him to give it to me. I was completely shocked that he was willing to part with it but grateful. The little cookbook means so much to me. A connection to the grandfather I didn’t know very well.

Reaction score
Wow, this is beautiful. What a treasure your father has passed on to you!! It's truly wonderful that this cookbook has been kept and treasured all these years. To me, something like this is the true meaning of a family heirloom.

It is beautiful. I keep it in a little display case with a glass front to keep it safe so I can have it for many years to come. An heirloom. I never thought of it like that before but you’re right. This is definitely a family heirloom that I’ll pass on when I’m much older. A way to keep it in the family for generations to come.

Reaction score
Just an FYI........get museum glass for the front. It stops the light from fading it. I never knew until something my aunt left me, and I displayed it in a case and even though it was not in direct sun, it began to fade. I had to have a new front made with museum glass (glass store) which will safe guard the colors. Indirect sunlight will fade it, plus just "light".

Well you inherited the baking gene from your grandfather it sounds like. Look how it has been treasured all these years. I have a few things my dad made when he was young, brass bookends, one is an American Indian the other a policeman with a billy club. A wooden jigsaw puzzle he made (really hard to do!). And a beaded bookmark dated in the beads 1930. I treasure them, and his party mix as well!

Reaction score
Just an FYI........get museum glass for the front. It stops the light from fading it. I never knew until something my aunt left me, and I displayed it in a case and even though it was not in direct sun, it began to fade. I had to have a new front made with museum glass (glass store) which will safe guard the colors. Indirect sunlight will fade it, plus just "light".

Well you inherited the baking gene from your grandfather it sounds like. Look how it has been treasured all these years. I have a few things my dad made when he was young, brass bookends, one is an American Indian the other a policeman with a billy club. A wooden jigsaw puzzle he made (really hard to do!). And a beaded bookmark dated in the beads 1930. I treasure them, and his party mix as well!

I will look into that museum glass. It would be a great idea.
And I definitely inherited the baking gene from him and my other grandparents and my mom.
I love how having the little cookbook gives me a connection to him and also to him when he was younger. It’s something I didn’t have before my dad gave me the book. And I’m forever grateful for it.

Ask a Question