Meringue tips and advice?

Reaction score
I've never made a meringue before, but I'm giving it a go this weekend. I'm doing a recipe by James Martin (from his 'Home Comforts' book) and it will be a pavlova topped with white chocolate, whipped cream mixed with custard, and raspberries. Sounds like it should be good, so I'm hoping it goes well!! Here's the recipe:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/raspberry_and_caramel_70657

Given that I've never made one before I'm a little worried about how it will go... the thing that is worrying me the most is my oven - I understand that low and slow is very important for meringues, but I have stainless steel oven doors (most ridiculous idea ever) so I can't see inside at how it's doing. Meaning if I want to look, I have to open the door and let a big rush of cold air inside, which can't be a good thing.

Anyone got any tips for a meringue virgin?!?!

Reaction score
My gran used to make meringues pretty regularly - I make them occasionally but they still intimidate me a bit! The things I always remember her telling me were that the eggs should be at room temperature, never cold (something to do with them not getting the same volume when they're cold as they do at room temp!) and not to overbeat the egg whites...again I think it's a volume thing.

I hope that you're successful - let us know how it goes! And yes - stainless steel oven doors sure would present a new level of challenge!

Reaction score
I find it funny what a meringue is in Britain is something completely different from what a meringue is in the states.

Reaction score
My gran used to make meringues pretty regularly - I make them occasionally but they still intimidate me a bit! The things I always remember her telling me were that the eggs should be at room temperature, never cold (something to do with them not getting the same volume when they're cold as they do at room temp!) and not to overbeat the egg whites...again I think it's a volume thing.

I hope that you're successful - let us know how it goes! And yes - stainless steel oven doors sure would present a new level of challenge!

Thanks for the advice! Good point about having the eggs at room temperature, I always forget to take them out of the fridge before baking (not that they really need to be kept in there anyway).

I'll keep you posted! Hoping to make the meringue tomorrow, and I'll finish it off with the cream and fruit etc on Saturday.

I find it funny what a meringue is in Britain is something completely different from what a meringue is in the states.

Huh! I didn't realise that meringue was something different in the US. Enlighten me... :)

Reaction score
I made the meringue earlier - I put it in the oven for 2.5 hours at 130C (fan), and now that the cooking time is up the instructions are to turn the oven off and leave it in there to dry out for 6-8 hours. This means that I can't look at it at all until late this evening. It's so unnerving! It might be a complete disaster and I wouldn't know. Oh well, fingers crossed! :eek:

Reaction score

well I was thinking a pie or Banana Pudding topping :) what is the difference ? unlike Becky :) it only takes around 10 minutes for my meringue to bake and yes I'm boasting,because I topped a Lemon pie with one a couple of months ago for the first time ever lol

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice! Good point about having the eggs at room temperature, I always forget to take them out of the fridge before baking (not that they really need to be kept in there anyway).

I'll keep you posted! Hoping to make the meringue tomorrow, and I'll finish it off with the cream and fruit etc on Saturday.

Huh! I didn't realise that meringue was something different in the US. Enlighten me... :)

LOL, okay.......

Meringue in Britain...

Great_British_street_party___Holly_Bell_s_strawberry_meringue_nests.jpg

Lemon-Meringue-Pie-4-956x430.jpg

ojys61hfjgcjg_bigger.jpg

Meringues in the USA
exps23527_HC1154010B03_08_1b.jpg

8662d6354c39f936053a5ef7496a7834.jpg

08cc583c825981dcd8128cdb75ec41f8.jpg

2e2b429c732bcd5131336a84aef5c61a.jpg

More often than not, here in the states, when you say "meringue", people think PIE.

Last edited:
Reaction score
More often than not, here in the states, when you say "meringue", people think PIE.

Ah I see what you mean now! Yeah I've done things like 'American' meringue before, and I've done Italian meringue too. But French meringue is so difficult!

In the end, I overbaked it unfortunately. It was still really tasty, but it had cracks all over the place and crumbled at the edges really easily. I think I should have cooked it at a much lower temperature. I've read that with this type of meringue you are more aiming to dry it out rather than cook it, so I think I'll try and bear that in mind in future!

The pavlova I made with it was really good though, despite the meringue issues. Having the white chocolate between the meringue and the cream was gorgeous! And the caramel drizzle was a nice little touch (almost tasted bitter against everything else, which was refreshing).

Here it is before being baked:
Meringue 1.jpg

After being baked for 2.5 hours and left in the oven to cool (without opening the door) for 6 hours:
Meringue 2.jpg

The finished pavlova:
Meringue 3.jpg

I'm looking forward to my next attempt already! :D

Reaction score
Ah I see what you mean now! Yeah I've done things like 'American' meringue before, and I've done Italian meringue too. But French meringue is so difficult!

In the end, I overbaked it unfortunately. It was still really tasty, but it had cracks all over the place and crumbled at the edges really easily. I think I should have cooked it at a much lower temperature. I've read that with this type of meringue you are more aiming to dry it out rather than cook it, so I think I'll try and bear that in mind in future!

The pavlova I made with it was really good though, despite the meringue issues. Having the white chocolate between the meringue and the cream was gorgeous! And the caramel drizzle was a nice little touch (almost tasted bitter against everything else, which was refreshing).

Here it is before being baked:
View attachment 562

After being baked for 2.5 hours and left in the oven to cool (without opening the door) for 6 hours:
View attachment 563

The finished pavlova:
View attachment 564

I'm looking forward to my next attempt already! :D

Did you do the white chocolate and the custard as well?

I watched that video, and I have to say I've never heard of such a thing. I've heard the word "pavlova" before on some cooking shows, but I thought it was just a technique or something!

Reaction score
the pavlova intrigues me Becky,I have no idea what it actually is :) but I think it was you that had posted about it in another thread and for some reason I want to try it

but here is the thing,if I burn it or something,how would I know if I did something wrong ?o_O

Reaction score
Did you do the white chocolate and the custard as well?

I watched that video, and I have to say I've never heard of such a thing. I've heard the word "pavlova" before on some cooking shows, but I thought it was just a technique or something!

Yeah I did the full thing, it was a good combo of flavours :)

Pavlova refers to a meringue (usually a round one) topped with whipped cream and fruit. It's gorgeous!

but here is the thing,if I burn it or something,how would I know if I did something wrong ?o_O

Good point! You should come to Europe and try some, and then you'll know what it should taste like :D

Reaction score
You know what would be really neat????

Turn a metal bowl upside down, cover it with parchment paper, grease it really well, then pipe that meringue out over the bowl and bake it like that.

Then you would have a meringue bowl to put some glazed fruit in!!!

Or even do a bunch of mini ones like that, and have them for single desserts!!!

Then you could top it all off with a bit of vanilla chocolate mousse!!!

Reaction score
... although I should probably concentrate on mastering the basics first!! :D

Ask a Question