Meringues.

Reaction score
Hi, My question is, which recipe is the best for making really strong meringues that do not fracture. I am developing a recipe that has additional meringue attached to the main piece with tempered chocolate. The meringue often snaps off at this joint. I don’t know if it is the tempered chocolate that contracts when cooling that causes the strain or if it is the meringue itself. The meringue seems very brittle. I have tried a number of different recipes. Your help would be appreciated.

Reaction score
More information is needed to help.

1. Please specify what type of meringue are you making: French, Swiss, or Italian?

2. Please specify what you are making the meringue into; you mention a “joint” but that doesn’t explain what is being made. A photo would be very helpful if you are shaping the meringue into a non traditional shape.

3. What ratio of sugar to egg whites by weight are you using?

4. Also please explain the chocolate attachment. Are you trying to “glue” pieces of meringue together with chocolate? What’s breaking, the chocolate meringue or both? Again a photo will help a lot.

Reaction score
I've heard that meringue recipes which feature cream of tartar tend to be stronger, but I don't have much experience with them to be honest. I agree with @Norcalbaker59 that more info would be useful.

Reaction score
Hi, My question is, which recipe is the best for making really strong meringues that do not fracture. I am developing a recipe that has additional meringue attached to the main piece with tempered chocolate. The meringue often snaps off at this joint. I don’t know if it is the tempered chocolate that contracts when cooling that causes the strain or if it is the meringue itself. The meringue seems very brittle. I have tried a number of different recipes. Your help would be appreciated.

Posted on april fools day. Natch.

Ask a Question