Metal or plastic pastry cutters?

Reaction score
I actually prefer the plastic pastry cutters over the metal ones and the plastic cutters are cheaper! Which ones do you use?

Reaction score
We use metal cutters. I like using these because my mom has had them for years and we still use them. My sister has bought some plastic ones, but I like the metal better.

Reaction score
I prefer a good quality metal cutter over plastic any day. Quality metal cutters have a sharper edge and will cut easer than plastic. Metal cutters do not break of warp if you treat them with care. I think the shape and design of a metal cutter is far more detail and precise than that of plastic.

Reaction score
I agree because I have used both and I liked the metal better. My sister will use the plastic butvonly if she needs that shape otherwise she only uses the metal ones.

Reaction score
Interesting, I hardly ever use mine, and the one I have is actually my parent's old one that they gave me since they never use it either. It's pretty beat up by now, from getting shoved in the utensil drawer all these years. I think it's got some rust on it too.

I didn't even know they made these in plastic until I just started looking them up online, however I would stick with metal still. But I would go with one of the more modern designs, which are much sturdier than some of the older ones I've used which would get all bent easily. Of all of the plastic designs I've seen, the wires were too thick to remain reasonably sturdy, but they also made it harder to cut into the dough with.

Reaction score
We use the old metal cutters that my mom use to use. I never thought about getting plastic because I like the metal ones.

Reaction score
I used to like metal cutter because these are my mother's favorites.

However I don't always have time to clean immediately the cutter and I truly hated to have my cutters with stain marks, so I switched to plastic cutters.

Even though, I was not aware of the cutting difference and some of them are really pretty, but hard to get the dough cut.

Lesson to learn; buy the next set of cutters based on the shape and sharpness and not just in how pretty cookies may look when using fancy ones.

Reaction score
I am a cheater and can't stand to use a pastry cutter of any kind. I find my fingers get the job done in a fraction of the time. When I've tried using a pastry cutter I just ended up frustrated with all the stuff stuck to the cutter constantly. I can get it worked in so much better with my hands anyway because I can feel what I'm doing.

Reaction score
I think metal ones are better as it gives a cleaner line and is more accurate. You get less sticking if you flour the metal cutters where with plastic it is harder. For children it can be safer, but for adults, there is no safety issue unless you are really clumsy.

Reaction score
I like to buy good quality tools for cooking and baking so that they will last for a long time and I get better results so I will have to go with a metal cutter here. I purchased a set of very expensive pots and pans about 10 years ago and they still look and work as if they were brand new, so it is worth spending the money, especially if you are going to use your tools alot.

Ask a Question