Metric vs Imperial Measurements in Baking

Reaction score
Folks, i am from Velesco Inc and we are launching new product in USA. I would love to get some feedback from baking enthusiasts. Mainly, i need to know how importaint for americans to have metric measurements on a work mat product. Would imperial measurements (inches) be enough or you need both? Thank you in advance!

Reaction score
Folks, i am from Velesco Inc and we are launching new product in USA. I would love to get some feedback from baking enthusiasts. Mainly, i need to know how importaint for americans to have metric measurements on a work mat product. Would imperial measurements (inches) be enough or you need both? Thank you in advance!

American baking pans are manufactured in inches, so metric measurements would work.

Makings should reflect the pan sizes. Just be aware though for pie tins, a baker must roll pie dough larger than the diameter of the tin to account for height of the sizes and too tuck the edge under.

In America, a standard pie tin is 9”. But the depth varies.

A standard pie plate is 1 1/4” deep.

A deep dish will be 1 1/2” to 2” deep.

A number of manufactures make it 10” pie plate

As a general rule bakers add 2” for a standard pie tin and 3” for a deep dish.

So if your mats have just a 9” marking
It won’t be of much use.

A tart pan is 1” deep. But tart pans come in a variety of dimensions. I have them from 4” to 12”.

Reaction score
thank you for answering Norcabaker59. Our mat will have lots of markings, my question is, if whole mat is in imperial system (inches), would you care that is missing metric (cm)? if i can make it in one system, then i can do much more with patern.

Reaction score
thank you for answering Norcabaker59. Our mat will have lots of markings, my question is, if whole mat is in imperial system (inches), would you care that is missing metric (cm)? if i can make it in one system, then i can do much more with patern.

As I mentioned American pans are manufactured in inches, NOT metric. So American home bakers have no use for metric markings.

Ask a Question