Milk chocolate or dark chocolate?

milk chocolate or dark chocolate?

• Total voters
Reaction score
Which do you prefer, milk chocolate or dark chocolate? Does it make a difference when you are baking? What about when you are just wanting a piece of candy? Do you reach for the dark chocolate or milk chocolate first?
Personally, I really like both! I could eat either one and be perfectly happy. My mother on the other hand only cooks with dark chocolate and that's the only kind of chocolate she reaches for.
What about you?

Reaction score
I like both kinds of chocolate. For baking though, I tend to use milk chocolate. I think you get better flavor with milk chocolate. I'm not opposed to baking with dark chocolate. It's just I have had better luck baking with milk chocolate.

Reaction score
For baking, milk chocolate is best. The flavor (to me) better suits most cake and cookie recipes. Dark chocolate is manageable too, but you have to be selective on how you use this food.

Reaction score
Dark chocolate! Though it depends on the brand and quality of the chocolate and what you consider 'dark'. I've never enjoyed milk chocolate in recipes. In cakes I'll incorporate pure cocoa powder. I like using either ghirardelli dark, or hersheys chipits dark. Lately I've been working with an allergen free dark chocolate as my youngest is highly sensitive to all forms of dairy but is fine with chocolate.

Reaction score
I love milk chocolate. It is wonderful for baking and munching! Although I will eat dark chocolate, it is just a little bit bitter for me. I love the sweet taste of the milk chocolate in anything. I especially love it when I am coating fruit or peanut butter balls. Delicious!

Reaction score
When I was a kid I used to hate dark chocolate. In fact, whenever my parents would get a bag of those mini Hershey's bars I would separate out all the "Special Dark" ones so I wouldn't grab them by accident.

As an adult however I prefer it. Regular milk chocolate tastes rather plain to me and the dark chocolate is much more aromatic. Also, if the chocolate is part of a recipe, it often works well with the existing cream and butter in them. Chocolate chip cookies with milk chocolate chips taste bland, whereas with dark chocolate chips - the chocolate shines more when coupled with the butter and sugar.

Reaction score
For eating and baking I prefer milk chocolate. But, for my chocolate chip cookies I use Nestle semi sweet chips - so I suppose those are "sort of" dark!! LOL!
I just don't like the taste of dark chocolate. I used to get the kinds with berries, etc in them and they were ok for a while.
But lately I've found that I just don't like the taste. I'm sure some of it has to do with the milk fat in milk chocolate!!! :)

Reaction score
I love both. I think for baking I generally prefer milk chocolate, but some dark chocolate goodies are great. I make a fabulous dark chocolate fudge. If I am just eating a candy bar, though, I prefer a really decadent bar of dark chocolate.

Reaction score
Whether it's baking or snacking it's dark chocolate all the way...i wouldn't have it any other way as i think i am somehow addicted to the rich taste of dark chocolate.
Whenever i bask in the sweet delight of a piece of dark chocolate it somehow soothes my soul and adds to my piece of mind.

Reaction score
I say combine them the more chocolate the better.
While you are at it throw in some white chocolate as well.
Adding different types of choclate gives your baking a more complex flavor.

Reaction score
I always choose milk chocolate in my baking. The chocolate is more sweetened and just overall better for me. Dark chocolate is sour.

Reaction score
I like both kinds, and I like them together, but if I had to pick just one definitely dark. I can have more of it and just feel better, whereas milk chocolate gets somewhat bitter after a few bites, I find.

Reaction score
Which do you prefer, milk chocolate or dark chocolate? Does it make a difference when you are baking? What about when you are just wanting a piece of candy? Do you reach for the dark chocolate or milk chocolate first?
Personally, I really like both! I could eat either one and be perfectly happy. My mother on the other hand only cooks with dark chocolate and that's the only kind of chocolate she reaches for.
What about you?
Sadly, I can't have either. :( I am prone to getting migraine headaches and that is one of the triggers. I know... how sad is that! :( It is funny though because I can have white chocolate!! I am not sure why that really is, but I'm certainly not arguing that fact! :) I love to indulge in chocolate every once in a while and I savor it.
I have lost quite a bit of weight over the last year, so I do watch and make sure I don't have too much!!
It's soooo good though!!! :)

Danyel :)

Reaction score
I enjoy eating any chocolate, especially dark chocolate truffles. However for baking, dark chocolate can bit a bit too bitter for many people so I use milk chocolate, then for the decoration I still use milk chocolate for the icing, but add a few dark chocolate shavings for a contrast. That way, it covers most peoples tastes and also add sweetness without adding more sugar.

Ask a Question