Do recipes still require scalding milk with ultra pasteurization?

SHA

Reaction score
Just curious, for recipes that call for scalding milk - is that still necessary in this age of ultra pasturization ?

Reaction score
scald for creme caramel to dissolve sugar and add some preheat or it won't bake (poach) properly.
Don't heat milk for brioche. It benefits from a long proof period.
Its optional for pain de mie, if you have fresh yeast don't heat the milk, for dry yeast its gonna take all day if the milk is cold.
As you see with pain de mie there are multi variables even with the same item. I scald it, let it cool to 80F....using dry instant yeast.
Creme brule, gotta scald or boil the cream to dissolve the sugar.

I get raw milk from the amish, I usually scald for yogurt, not for breads or anything that gets boiled.

If you look at various youtube videos for pastry cream some bakers mix all the ingredients together cold, then cook from cold, its a really bad idea, the odds of scorching are greatly increased by not bring the milk to a boil first.
Its one thing to mess up a pint of pastry cream but if you try that with 5 gallon batches in a pro kitchen its a almost a certainty you'd have to make the walk of shame to the dumpster.

So, unless you're rolling the dice with raw milk....the odds of a problem coming from milk is slim, its far more likely to be the eggs.
When I worked in high volume places such as hotels, big restaurants, wedding catering etc I always preferred pasteurized egg products, especially cartons of liquid yolks. Its safe and chef was happy I saved time by not fiddling with shell eggs.

so back to the beginning, it depends what you're making, the type of ingredients and which method you choose to make it.

Reaction score
Just curious, for recipes that call for scalding milk - is that still necessary in this age of ultra pasturization ?

No, scalding milk is not necessary. Raw milk contains enzymes (protease); some breakdown gluten. Heating (pasteurization) destroys some of these enzymes. Prior to commercial pasteurization, milk was scalded for baking to destroy and reduce the gluten inhibiting enzyme.

Keep in mind that flour does not contain gluten. It contains two protein molecules (glutenin and gliadin) that must bind with a water molecule AND be agitated to form gluten. Certain protease (such as those in raw milk, pineapple, papaya) cut the gluten forming chains before they fully form.

Commercially manufactured protease is used as a dough conditioner. It works by breaking down the gluten. The result is a softermore pliable dough.

On commercial protease. Papaya protease is called papain.

Ask a Question