Tips for Thickening Caramel in Millionaires Shortbread

Reaction score
Hi

Just joined up as I thought it was easier asking experts like yourselves for help!

I keep trying to do a Millionaires shortbread from a Mary Berry book. Basically the shortbread part is fine and I'm happy with that. When it comes to the caramel though, it always seems to come out too liquid like. I've currently left it to hopefully set but I'm not too hopeful. Does anyone have any tips for thickening up caramel so that it can set?

These are the ingredients I'm using - 100g butter, 100g light muscovado sugar & 2 x 397g condensed milk.

Only method that it gives is this - Measure the butter, sugar and condensed milk into a pan and heat gently until the sugar has dissolved. Being to the boil, stirring all the time, then reduce the heat and simmer very gently, stirring continuously, for about 5 mins or until the mixture has thickened slightly

Any help is appreciated as this is one thing I really want to get right!

Thanks

Reaction score
You can actually make caramel from just a can of sweetened condensed milk. It takes some time. You can do it in a slow cooker or on the stove top. You just remove the label from the can, place the can in boiling water leave it uncovered to simmer for a couple of hours. Google “condensed milk caramel” for ways to do it in a slow cooker.

That aside for sugar to caramelize to the soft chewy stage, it needs to be heated to about 240°. so I would recommend using a thermometer to see how hot it’s getting.

Reaction score
I've used the same Mary Berry recipe and have never had any problems, but I've left it to set in the fridge for maybe an hour before putting the chocolate over it.

I use real full fat natural butter when making it, never a margarine or other spread.

Ask a Question