Mini Citrus Loaves

Discussion in 'Gluten Free Baking' started by cupcakechef, Jul 19, 2015.

1. cupcakechef

cupcakechef Well-Known Member

These are delicious whether you need a gluten free diet or not! I love citrus flavoured baked goods and when my friend made these I thought they were lovely! Here's the recipe:

Mini Citrus Loaves

Makes 8

INGREDIENTS

1 1⁄2 cups ground almonds
    1⁄2 cup polenta
    1⁄2 cup rice flour
    1 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
    1⁄4 teaspoon salt
    225g butter, softened
    1 cup caster sugar finely grated zest of 1 orange finely grated zest of 2 limes
    3 eggs

METHOD

1. Preheat the oven to 170°C and butter an eight-hole mini loaf pan. Put the ground almonds, polenta, rice flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl and stir well to combine. Set aside.

2. Beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy then beat in the zests. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition then fold in the dry ingredients.

3. Divide the batter evenly among the loaf moulds and bake for 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.

4. Cool in the tin on a wire rack for 15 minutes before turning out to cool completely then topping with the following citrus glaze.

CITRUS GLAZE

INGREDIENTS

2 cups icing sugar
    2 tablespoons orange juice
    1 tablespoon lime juice
    finely grated zest of 1⁄2 orange
    finely grated zest of 1 lime

METHOD

1. While the loaves are cooling, make the citrus glaze by combining all the ingredients in a small bowl and stirring until smooth.

2. Spoon the glaze over the loaves and serve.

3. Keep for up to 3 days in an airtight container.

cupcakechef, Jul 19, 2015
    1. Advertisements

2. cupcakechef

Diane Lane Well-Known Member

These aren't ingredients I usually have on hand, but I tend to splurge around the holidays, and these sound perfect for holiday season. I think these would make wonderful Christmas gifts. I also love citrus flavored foods. Do you know if 'ground almonds' are different from almond flour? I'm not that familiar with alternate type foods, but I have seen almond flour at one of the local stores.

Diane Lane, Jul 19, 2015
    1. Advertisements

3. cupcakechef

As far as I know some parts of the world call it ground almonds and others call it almond flour - at least that was my understanding of it! I'll have to double check online though. My friend is a celiac and has a lot of these things in her pantry as every day items, I don't have them all on hand at all times either (in particular ground almonds here are kind of pricey) but I just loved this recipe she made so much that I asked her for it! Sometimes when she makes gluten free baked goods they taste so yummy that I wouldn't even know they were missing gluten at all!

cupcakechef, Jul 19, 2015
    Diane Lane likes this.
  4. cupcakechef

Trellum Well-Known Member

Amazing recipe, I think I have seen polenta somewhere around hooren, same for rice flour :) Back at home I saw some coconut flour, as for the almost, is it finely ground almond or is it almond flour? I have failed to see almond flour around here D: But I have seen finely ground almonds :)

Trellum, Jul 19, 2015
  5. cupcakechef

The resource I found online said that often almond meal/almond flour/ground almonds are all used for the same thing, it's just a word play about what the term is called from place to place. Hopefully that helps!

cupcakechef, Jul 22, 2015
    Diane Lane likes this.
  6. cupcakechef

DancingLady Well-Known Member

That looks pretty healthy with all those almonds, but like Diane said, I don't have those things on hand very often. These look like some lovely loaves to give away at Christmas time though, if I can afford that many almonds at that time f year.

DancingLady, Jul 22, 2015
    Diane Lane likes this.
  7. cupcakechef

Diane Lane Well-Known Member

Thanks, @cupcakechef It's good to know they're the same. I'm sure it's probably just a regional thing, using different terms. It's good to know I can actually buy it, rather than having to buy tons of almonds and grind them myself. My food processor broke, so I only have a small chopper, and that could have taken a while :rolleyes:. @Trellum @DancingLady The almond flour here is expensive. I've seen it's much cheaper at Trader Joe's, but I don't have one nearby. I do believe it's sold on Amazon, but I don't know the prices. I'll hopefully be able to try these for Christmas, because I've been wanting to use almond flour for quite a while.

Diane Lane, Jul 23, 2015
  8. cupcakechef

Trellum Well-Known Member

Thank you for the reply =D It's good to know that!! They could simply say almond flour, lol. I'll see if I can find it in my new country :) Let's hope the prices are not too high! Thank you, sweetheart, you are always to helpful!

Trellum, Jul 23, 2015
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question