Missing an ingredient from this recipe, can you help

monical

Reaction score
Off the top of your head, do you know what this measurement for cornmeal should be?

The rest of the ingredients in this recipe (for cornbread) are as follows:
  • 1 1/4 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1 egg

As you can see, the person who wrote this down didn't write how much cornmeal I'm supposed to use. Do you have any idea?

Ad

Advertisements

smlewis00

Reaction score
My guess would be one cup or one and 1/4 cup of cornmeal. I wouldn't think you would need anymore than that. Keep in mind this is only my guess-based on my other cornbread recipes.
I have two different recipes. One calls for one cup of cornmeal. This recipe is for a one 9 inch round pan. My other recipe calls for one and 1/4 cup and it is for a 8x12 in pan.
What size are you wanting to make?
Sorry I couldn't give you a direct answer for sure, but hopefully this gives you a general idea. Best of luck!

OhioTom76

Reaction score
I usually do equal parts flour and corn meal, so in this case I would go with 1 1/4 cups of cornmeal.

Another trick I read about recently suggested to soak the cornmeal in the milk for a while before adding it to the rest of the ingredients. It's supposed to get rid of some of the grittiness of the cornmeal, and make the cake have a smoother mouth feel.

loraanna

Reaction score
Cornmeal is the missing ingredient but have you ever tried Jiffy cornmeal muffins. I make them and add a few extra ingredients. I add honey
and butter to the batter and then I add honey on top just before I take them out of the oven. They taste like homemade.

Jessi

Reaction score
I usually do equal parts flour and corn meal, so in this case I would go with 1 1/4 cups of cornmeal.

Another trick I read about recently suggested to soak the cornmeal in the milk for a while before adding it to the rest of the ingredients. It's supposed to get rid of some of the grittiness of the cornmeal, and make the cake have a smoother mouth feel.
My recipes all use equal parts as well, so I would recommend 1 1/4 cups of cornmeal, too.

And I have done the cornmeal soaked in milk before! It helps moisten the cornmeal. I usually only let it set for about 15-20 minutes, so I don't know if it has any negative effects beyond that.

Meowmie

Reaction score

Oh I have to try this. I'm wondering if this is how they make the cornbread at Famous Dave's. I love their cornbread muffins, and this sounds like it's just the thing to get that texture.

Ad

Advertisements

Trellum

Reaction score
For this specific recipe I'd go for 1 1/2 cornmeal, I always use almost equal parts of both flour and cornmeal, plus half a cup, because I really like the the result :) It makes a difference in my recipe, gives a very good consistency!

Tina Nord

Reaction score
I also agree that it is probably an equal amount of cornmeal as with the flour. You could probably even get away with omitting a little of the flour and adding a little more cornmeal to give it even more flavor. I am craving cornbread now that I have read this. I love the way it smells right when it comes out of the oven.

wahmed

Reaction score
Normally in most recipes it's equal parts of flour and cornmeal. So take 1 1/2 cups if both. Its not a very expensive recipie so if it goes wrong you can always alter it next time.

Ad

Advertisements

Zyni

Reaction score
I also agree that it is probably an equal amount of cornmeal as with the flour. You could probably even get away with omitting a little of the flour and adding a little more cornmeal to give it even more flavor. I am craving cornbread now that I have read this. I love the way it smells right when it comes out of the oven.
This would be my advice. I prefer a bit more cornmeal than flour in mine.

I will also have to try soaking the cornmeal like OhioTom said. That sounds like a great idea.

Ask a Question