Mixing flour with frozen berries

Reaction score
Idk if I'm doing this right.
I am trying to follow a crisp recipe that calls for frozen berries. When I put flour and sugar with the berries to thicken and sweeten it I have a problem that cause they are frozen the flour and sugar won't mix or adhere to the berries it just ends up at the bottom of the bowl. How do ui make it work?

Reaction score
Idk if I'm doing this right.
I am trying to follow a crisp recipe that calls for frozen berries. When I put flour and sugar with the berries to thicken and sweeten it I have a problem that cause they are frozen the flour and sugar won't mix or adhere to the berries it just ends up at the bottom of the bowl. How do ui make it work?
Don’t use flour.

Flour is an inferior thickener for baked fruit deserts. It leaves an aftertaste; it’s cloudy, it’s gooey and clumpy.

Pastry chef Stella Parks came up with a formula for thickening fruit desserts using tapioca starch (also called tapioca flour by some brands like Bob’s Red Mill). Do not use the tapioca pearls used to make pudding.

weight of the fruit

25% - 30% sugar based on weight of fruit

5% tapioca starch based on weight of fruit for high water content like blueberries, cherries, & blackberrie.

2% tapioca starch based on weight of fruit for high pectin fruit such as apples

example:

frozen blueberries 453 g

453 x .25 = 113.25 Use 113 g sugar

453 x .05 = 22.65 Use 23 g tapioca starch

Simply whisk the sugar and the tapioca starch together. Then stir it into the frozen fruit.

Place in your baking dish. Top with crisp topping. Bake until the fruit bubbles in the center.

5% tapioca starch will produce a firm enough filling with frozen fruit like blueberries to cleanly slice through when completely cooled. I use frozen blueberries all the time in pie, and Parks formula works every time.

if you want a thinner filling, use less tapioca starch.

Ask a Question