Modify Toll House Cookie to make it have a fine texture and less dense

Reaction score
Hi there

I'm new to the forum, I wonder if any of you cookie experts can help with my dilemma. I received a cookie from a friend as a gift which is really delicious and I'm trying to replicate it. The chocolate in the cookie takes center stage and the cookie just carries it in a way, it's not over powering or too buttery. I've attached a photo of the cookie I want to make.

The cookie is less dense and more of a light cookie with a fine crumb, not hard and not chewy kind of a dry crumb. It's also not thin and flat.

Using the Toll House Recipe as base I've tried a few experiments, but nothing has worked.

I've reduce the butter by 30% so that it's not too rich and I've also reduce the sugar in equal quantities as I find the original recipe too sweet.

I've tried super fine sugar, but I have not tried adding baking powder in addition to the baking soda.

At the moment my cookies are more chewy and dense

Luka

Attachments

• IMG_7241 (1).JPG
    IMG_7241 (1).JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 490
Reaction score
Depends on the recipe. Most American cookie recipes are either dense, hard, or cakey.

The kind of cookie you are describing sounds more like a gingerbread cookie to me.
Also, European butter cookies turn out like that as well.

If you want a choco chip cookie like that, then you might use a European butter cookie recipe, and just add choco chips to it.

You might could use an old fashioned shortbread cookie with choco chips in it, but it might be a bit on the greasy side.

Reaction score
Hi Chester

Thanks for the awesome relply, much appreciated.

I have a list of ingredients that came with the cookie:

Flour, brown sugar, sugar, butter, baking soda, salt, eggs.

Kind regards
Luka

Reaction score
Hi there,

Thought this may help, I've included a photo of the top and bottom of the cookie.

Attachments

• IMG_7241.jpg
    IMG_7241.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 498
Reaction score
You might try adding extra eggs. Sometimes that works.
I've done that before to some cookie recipes, and it makes them a bit more "fluffy" without being chewy or too crumbly.

But cookies are temperamental, as they usually will not turn out exactly the same for each batch.
It all depends on ingredients, baking temperatures, pan types, dough consistency, and cookie thickness.

Sometimes the slightest variance in a recipe can make them turn out just a bit differently. I think that might be what happened with the cookie you are talking about. It was just a fluke for that recipe.

You might hit on that recipe one day, but it could possibly take hundreds of variances to find it.

:)

Reaction score
I use the Tollhouse recipe but only use 1/2 cup of butter(I believe it says to use 1 cup) and I sift the dry ingredients 3 times. They come out great every time. Good luck

Ask a Question