Baking with Mondo Tins: Height Issues

Reaction score
Hey Everyone I am new to this forum!

Been baking all my life, mostly bread, lately ive been getting back into cake decorating (been about 10 years), started with a friend needing a cake then I made a few more, still abit rusty but im getting back into the swing of things.

Decided to buy some Mondo tins last week, the set included 6, 8 and 10 inche tins. Problem I am having is that these tins are much higher than what I used to dealing with back in the day, and they dont seem to bake as well in the middle, especially the 10 inch tins. Is this caused by the tin height? should I just buy some different tins that are not so high?

I did buy some bake even strips yesterday which you soak and wrap around the tins before baking, which helped but not completely. Im baking my at 170 degress, i might even try 160 next time.

I dont know im starting to think I should have bought different tins that arent so high.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Have you tried not filling them?
or baking flat sheet trays and cutting rounds?

My cake pans are all 2 inch high, wedding pans are 4 inch and you do have to moderate the heat to allow the heat to penetrate. It can be a pain with convection ovens.

Reaction score
Have you tried not filling them?
or baking flat sheet trays and cutting rounds?

My cake pans are all 2 inch high, wedding pans are 4 inch and you do have to moderate the heat to allow the heat to penetrate. It can be a pain with convection ovens.

Thanks for your response Retired baker,

Havent tried flat sheet trays as I dont have any trays like that at home.

Yeah i think my tins are roughly the 3inch mark too, so you recommend dropping the heat to say 150 or so and baking longer?

Reaction score
Thanks for your response Retired baker,

Havent tried flat sheet trays as I dont have any trays like that at home.

Yeah i think my tins are roughly the 3inch mark too, so you recommend dropping the heat to say 150 or so and baking longer?

That might be too cool, I'd keep it around 325F.
Too cool a temp could cause it to collapse.

Ask a Question