Mongo bread

Reaction score
This kind of bread is getting popular because I can see that almost all bakeshops have mongo bread in their rack. It is like ordinary raisin bread except that mongo is the flavoring instead of raisins. It is eaten as it is and good for a snack but not for breakfast. Especially for poor families, they buy a loaf and share it with everyone in the family for their mid afternoon snack. We also love mongo bread and even our dogs like it also.

Reaction score
Your dogs seem to like everything the humans eat pretty much like mine. What is mongo? I did a quick search but came up empty. Perhaps you can share a picture @Corzhens? When I saw it initially, I thought it was mango:)

Reaction score
Well I glad that it is getting popular somewhere, but I am not sure if it is quite there around these parts quite yet, but I have to say that I am intrigued. I have never had some, but I do like raisin bread so I can imagine that I would enjoy this very much. Sounds versatile too, which is always something that I like to look for. Thanks for sharing.

Reaction score
Your dogs seem to like everything the humans eat pretty much like mine. What is mongo? I did a quick search but came up empty. Perhaps you can share a picture @Corzhens? When I saw it initially, I thought it was mango:)

I thought the same that it was mango bread!

From what I could see online mongo bread is actually bread with a mung bean filling. To me it looked a lot like breads in Japan that have red bean paste in them. Curious to know if the taste would be the same!

Reaction score
You're right @cupcakechef. Mongo is the local term for mung beans in the Philippines. I too love eating this bread, especially when I'm also having my favorite cup of hot coffee. Here's a picture of a mongo bread: :)
loafbread.jpg

Photo courtesy of valeriosbakery.com

Reaction score
You're right @cupcakechef. Mongo is the local term for mung beans in the Philippines. I too love eating this bread, especially when I'm also having my favorite cup of hot coffee. Here's a picture of a mongo bread: :)
loafbread.jpg

Photo courtesy of valeriosbakery.com
That's pretty. I have seen similar looking mostly when I travel but never knew what type they were. Just figured it was some sort to jam.

Reaction score
@Winterybella It does look sort of like a purple yam jam when you look at it. Most of the mongo breads I see have a purple colored filling in them that they look like purple yam jam. If one looks closely at the filling though, there are still some whole mung beans that show up. :)

Reaction score
That's pretty. I have seen similar looking mostly when I travel but never knew what type they were. Just figured it was some sort to jam.

I think I would have thought it was jam too, especially since it seems to have that purple-ish tinge to it! It certainly does look very pretty though!

Reaction score
@Winterybella It does look sort of like a purple yam jam when you look at it. Most of the mongo breads I see have a purple colored filling in them that they look like purple yam jam. If one looks closely at the filling though, there are still some whole mung beans that show up. :)
So guess what I had to Google? Did you get it? I had to yam jam. I had never heard of it before. At first I wondered if it was a typo but it was too deliberate and said with too much ease:). You taught me something again. I had only recently heard of the mung beans as well.
I think I would have thought it was jam too, especially since it seems to have that purple-ish tinge to it! It certainly does look very pretty though!
Very pretty indeed. Anything similar I see around here is definitely made of filled with jam.

Reaction score
Lol! I'm always happy to help @Winterybella. :) We locally call the purple yam as "Ube" here in the Philippines. There are stores here which sell ube jam, which we either use as a spread or as a dessert by eating them as they are. The mongo bread on the other hand can easily be mistaken as a purple yam filled bread because of the violet color. :)

Reaction score
@Winterybella, sorry for this late reply. I think mongo is called mung beans in some parts of the world. Those small round beans that look exactly like bb ammo. We eat that as a dish with rice but there are several ways of cooking it as an ingredient in pastries and desserts. Anyway, here is the pic of the mongo bread that I bought last week and which I sampled myself.
IMG_3132 mongo bread.jpg

Reaction score
@Corzhens, your bread looks much softer than the other shown above. I like the look of this one. It like something I can roll in my hand and bite on. I have this thing where I like to cuff some types of bread and eat it straight from my hand with no interest in etiquette.

Ask a Question