Moringa Oleifera Cupcake Recipe

Reaction score
Hello everyone! :)

I have always been a believer of the many health benefits of Moringa Oleifera, which is locally known as "malunggay" in the Philippines. So I wondered if they could also be used to make sweet treats like cakes or cupcakes and I found this malunggay cupcake recipe that I think I would try doing soon. I would like to share it with you guys in case you would also want to make your own.

Here's the link for the recipe:

http://epicureanmommy.blogspot.com/2013/04/malunggay-cupcake-moringa-oleifera.html

Reaction score
I had to look up what it was - it's some kind of leaves, right? Making a cupcake out of them sounds really interesting! I would love to know what the taste would be like - but I don't know if I can acquire that kind of plant here!

Reaction score
Don't be surprised but our morning bread is laced with moringa. The morning bread is called pandesal, it looks like a small bagel that has a bit of crunchy topping. It is sliced in the middle to give space to meat or spread. There are small bakery stores here whose business is selling the morning bread only. The nearest bakery store here only sells moringa pandesal. The owner is a health buff, a firm believer of moringa for health so he gambles in selling moringa bread in the morning whether people buy or not. But fortunately, we buy his moringa bread because the next nearest bakery store would require us to get a ride, very inconvenient.

Reaction score
@cupcakechef Yes, the leaves of the moringa tree are often the ones being used in experimenting with culinary stuff but it also bears fruit which are also edible and can be used as a side dish or as a complimentary addition to viands. I think they're sold in Asian or Filipino stores worldwide but if in case you won't be able to find one, the capsulized form sold in drug stores would do. It's not as fresh as the leaf form but they still have the same health benefits. Do let me know how your search goes. :)

Anyway, I found an article here with more information on the health benefits of moringa oleifera which is also commonly known as "malunggay" here in the Philippines. I hope you find this helpful in learning more about this healthy plant:

http://www.medicalhealthguide.com/articles/malunggay.htm

@Corzhens There's also a similar pandesal store here in my locality. I guess more bakers are now opting for healthier ways of producing bread for their consumers especially the health buffs out there. It's a good addition to the choices we have when it comes to bread. :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I guess the addition of the moringa leaves has something to do with the texture of the bread. I could imagine breads made of moringa becoming a lot tougher in texture just like garlic breads.

With regards to the regular pandesal, I have this habit of eating it as it is, without any spread or having to heat it in the oven the day after. It's just really tasty for me that I can just dip it in my morning coffee and my morning is complete. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack Sr

Latest Threads