Most creative

Reaction score
What is the most creative decorating you have done on a cake or another baking project? And were you baking it for a special occasion?

Reaction score
I tried my hand at cake decorating when my kids were younger. It was fun, I enjoyed the artistry involved, and my kids and a few other family members benefited from my efforts. I always made the cakes for special occasions (birthday parties, baby showers, etc.) and never got too fancy. (for instance I never learned how to make roses) It was always fun having the kids choose pictures from books or even decided on their own design (I've done Spiderman's head and dinosaurs) and they make it happen for them. I've done cakes with decorator tips and cakes that were shaped like a animal, etc. I haven't done a cake like this in years but still have all my frosting tips and bags so I could still pull it off if necessary! :)

Reaction score
The most ambitious decorating I do is making character cookies and some frosting designs on cupcakes. I barely have the attention span for that, much less decorating an entire cake. Even then, I really only make them when people ask me to on certain occasions, like a party or big get together. It's fun though, so maybe one day I'll decorate a cake!

Reaction score
The most ambitious decorating I do is making character cookies and some frosting designs on cupcakes. I barely have the attention span for that, much less decorating an entire cake. Even then, I really only make them when people ask me to on certain occasions, like a party or big get together. It's fun though, so maybe one day I'll decorate a cake!

I find it interesting....because to me decorating each individual cupcake seems like more of a chore than decorating the cake!

I also have decorated cookies, but the only ones I can remember making were Santa Claus ones at Christmas time. Still, they were fun and, when you're making them for kids, worth the extra effort to see the smiles on their faces! (And I do my best not to tease them that they're eating Santa!)

Reaction score
I can't think of the most creative I've ever created (I make hundreds of celebration (birthday, anniversary, christening etc.) cakes for all the family and friends). I do remember once making a builder's bum cake though; which went down a storm! Everyone thought it was hilarious. :p
I've also created a few Alice in Wonderland themed cakes, which always turn out eccentric, so are fairly creative, I guess. :)

I was once asked to create a horse's head in a bed cake for a Gangster themed birthday party. .! That was fun.. I used this liquid gel stuff ( made to look like water, never dries, perfect for realisic lakes and puddles on cakes) mixed with red food colouring to make blood, and baked a red velvet marbled cake so it looked like the blood had soaked through the bedsheets, so to speak..

Reaction score
I can't think of the most creative I've ever created (I make hundreds of celebration (birthday, anniversary, christening etc.) cakes for all the family and friends). I do remember once making a builder's bum cake though; which went down a storm! Everyone thought it was hilarious. :p
I've also created a few Alice in Wonderland themed cakes, which always turn out eccentric, so are fairly creative, I guess. :)

I was once asked to create a horse's head in a bed cake for a Gangster themed birthday party. .! That was fun.. I used this liquid gel stuff ( made to look like water, never dries, perfect for realisic lakes and puddles on cakes) mixed with red food colouring to make blood, and baked a red velvet marbled cake so it looked like the blood had soaked through the bedsheets, so to speak..

LOL Brilliant and disgusting, all in one go!!!

Reaction score
My thoughts exactly when they asked me to make it, and to "make it gory!", lol

I must admit it was very fun though, spurting 'blood' everywhere: I even did all the writing with red piping icing, hehe... but making the horse look realistic was near impossible..

Ah well, every creation is a learning curve. :)

Reaction score
I haven't decorated anything particularly creatively, but I keep meaning to. I saw a recipe on Pinterest for an owl-shaped cake, and I'm desperate to try that, but I feel there's no point making an interesting cake like that for no reason, so I'll need to wait for someone's birthday top crop up. My mum is a decorating genius though - this is what she made for my 18th at the end of last year:

32417_10200324535580553_457457235_n.jpg

Ask a Question