Mousse not thick

Reaction score
Hi! I am making a chocolate mousse for a cake filling and once I added the chocolate to the whipped cream and sugar it lost the stiff peaks. I tried whipping it again thinking it wasn't whipped enough before but that made it even softer. How can I salvage it? Right now it is in the freezer.

Reaction score
Im
Hi! I am making a chocolate mousse for a cake filling and once I added the chocolate to the whipped cream and sugar it lost the stiff peaks. I tried whipping it again thinking it wasn't whipped enough before but that made it even softer. How can I salvage it? Right now it is in the freezer.

I’m afraid there’s no salvaging it. Whipped cream mousse is difficult to make. You have to make sure the whipped cream is very cold. Freeze the bowl and the beaters and really chill your heavy cream. Do not over beat your heavy cream.

And it’s important that you gently fold about 25% of the whipped cream into the base first to loosen it up Then gently fold in the rest of whipped cream in two or three additions so it doesn’t deflate. But if it deflates there’s nothing you can do re-aerate it.

Reaction score
Thanks for the response se! I'm in Arizona so keeping it cool was impossible. It is good information though and I'll be sure to write it down for future attempts.

Thanks again!

Reaction score

The choc was too warm and melted the whipped cream.
No matter which method you use to mix it, if the temps are too high the cream is doomed.

Choc whipped cream is called creme de fondante in France.
But I made it that way for many years and called it mousse.

Mousse is 1 lb choc, 5 eggs , 1 quart heavy cream.
Same precaution , choc temp has to be right or the whipped cream in the mousse will melt and become sloppy.

Ask a Question