Mug cakes

Reaction score
Who has tried making Mug Cakes? I have seen many recipes but they all seem dry and bland. I Actually tried to add frosting and/or chocolate fudge, but it still does not compare to our traditional cakes or cupcakes. Would anyone like to share their recipe?

Reaction score
I've tried making a mug cake before, but it wasn't all that great. I'm not sure if it was the recipe or the way I made it, though. Overall I'd rather just make a regular cake, ha ha.

Reaction score
I have never tried to make one before. My grandmother does, and they are delicious. I will have to see if she would let me post her recipe on here. I've tried to use her recipe and mine always turns out dry.

Reaction score
I would love to have a good recipe for a Mug cake. It sounds like something you could whip up in a flash and have a nice cake treat after a meal. I'm single so this sort of thing really appeals to me, more than making a full-sized cake.

Reaction score
It is perfect if there aren't many people and you just want to make your own little cake. Another good thing about it is that it won't take more than 3-5 minutes in the microwave to bake. I am trying to practice baking mug cakes with frosting or by decreasing the baking time or temperature to make it more moist.

Reaction score
I've tried one mug cake a long time ago. It came out too dry, so I have yet to make it again. Maybe I just made a mistake somewhere in the recipe. It would be great if someone did have a good recipe. Having a mug cake would prevent me from eating half a regular size cake! :p

Reaction score
I've found plenty of recipes on Youtube so whatever problems (moisture level, etc.) are probably addressed somewhere in those videos (or maybe the comments).

Reaction score
I have absolutely no idea what a mug cake is? Is it a larger version of a cup cake but baked in a mug? I think something is getting lost in translation between the US and poor British me :) Could someone please enlighten me!

Reaction score
I have not heard of these before, it's an interesting idea though that a cake would be made in a mug! I suppose it's similar to making on in a small pan, but it's it's quite interesting, got me wanting to try this now!

Reaction score
Try this!
Meyer Lemon 5 Minute Cakes
¾ cup almond flour 2 tbsp erythritol Zest of one Meyer Lemon 1 tsp baking powder Pinch salt Juice of one Meyer Lemon 2 tbsp butter, melted 1 large egg, lightly beaten Lightly sweetened whipped cream for garnish
Instructions In a medium bowl, whisk almond flour, erythritol, lemon zest, baking powder and salt. Add lemon juice, melted butter and egg, and stir until well combined. Divide mixture between two microwave-safe mugs and microwave each separately for 1 minute and 20 seconds. Remove and top with whipped cream.
6 g. net carbs per serving

So tasty! Enjoy!

Reaction score
I have absolutely no idea what a mug cake is? Is it a larger version of a cup cake but baked in a mug? I think something is getting lost in translation between the US and poor British me :) Could someone please enlighten me!

There are a ton of mug cake recipes on Pinterest. The point of a mug cake is to quickly microwave a small cake or brownie in a coffee mug, so that you can quickly satisfy your sweet tooth without heating up the oven or making a whole cake. They are best for people who live alone and want instant gratification.

Reaction score
I once tasted a Chocolate Brownie Mug Cake, but it was low-carb and gluten-free. My grandma made it several times, and it was pretty good. I tried making it myself once, but it didn't come out the way I wanted it too. I will probably try again, but I don't know when that day will be! :p

Reaction score
I have never heard of a Mug cake either, and I am right here in the American South, so it is not just you, Cariad !
I love the idea of a personal size dessert made in minutes in the microwave, so I am definitely going to take Limcids suggestion, and look on YouTube . That is pretty much my go-to place to learn everything nowadays , and looking up mug cake Brownies will be tonight's project.
Chocolate...chocolate..chocolate !

Reaction score
I've baked mug cakes many times but not once did it come out right. I'm yet to come across a recipe that tastes even halfway as good as a traditional cake. I'll be sure to post a thread if I do find one.

Reaction score
Yeah, I burned through a whole bunch of these over a couple of weeks last year. They're easy enough that the failures didn't faze me, I'd just start with another one. I think I gained five pounds XD

Reaction score
This is something I have been meaning to try. I have been waiting until I foundood recipe. I have seen the box mix in the grocery store , but I can't imagine the taste good. This seems like the sort of thing is either great or horrible.

Reaction score
I haven't tried to make one myself, but I have seen a million recipes for them on Pinterest. I will have to give a couple of them a try and see if I can find one for you guys that turns out moist.

Reaction score
I've attempted to make a mug cake before, and the trick is to NOT over-bake it, not even a little bit. If you over-bake it, it comes out looking and tasting like dirt. I would suggest microwave-cooking it for increments of time instead of all at once. If you find a trustworthy mug cake recipe, they can actually be pretty good! (not as good as a big slice of fluffy cake though... :))

Reaction score
I have tried making mug cakes before and failed. I now order a mug cake mix through tastefully simple and they are much easier and yummy!

Reaction score
I would love to have a good recipe for a Mug cake. It sounds like something you could whip up in a flash and have a nice cake treat after a meal. I'm single so this sort of thing really appeals to me, more than making a full-sized cake.
I'd like to have a nice mug cake after a meal too! Unfortunately, I've never made any myself and the ones I have had were awful.

Ask a Question