My baking inperfection

Reaction score
My kids are at the age where they enjoy baking with me, but the problem is that I am sort of a perfectionist and it can tend to drive me crazy when they are with me in the kitchen. I tend to have a system and I don't like it to get disrupted. Is there anyone else like this?

Reaction score
I was like that at first with my boys but I ended up letting go of my perfectionism for the sake of letting them learn and engage more...it's hard to do at first and there was definitely some biting my tongue and holding back on "fixing" everything but after you get over the initial urge, it's actually a lot of fun. The kids have a good time, they're learning and enjoying the process and it's easier to enjoy the process yourself if you ease up just a bit on your system :).

Reaction score
I am not like this because it feels like I will never get the opportunity to have my son join me in the kitchen. I am prepared to deal with any imperfections just to get him involved. Tomorrow I am going to bake and I am going to ask him yet again to join me.

I hope I live long enough to see him function in the kitchen in a meaningful way. Tina Nord I kind of envy you. It's wonderful that they are interested. I say embrace and encourage it.

Reaction score
I used to be like that but as I've branched out into all sorts of other kinds of baking, making my own recipes, changing things to cut down on sugar or make them healthier, I've had to let go of that because experiments do not always turn out perfect.

Reaction score
Today is suppose to be my baking day and I am not feeling very well at all. I extended the invitation to my "kid" to join me and all of sudden he has all this school work to do. Excuses, excuses and I am really doing the baking mostly for him. I am not going to say how old this "kid" is for his own protection.

Let's just say I should have tried harder when he was in his teens.:)

Reaction score
I am going to let myself go and let the kids join me more. My son loves to bake when I let him so I do need t o embrace that. I would live him to grow up and be able to help his lady out someday.

Reaction score
I am going to let myself go and let the kids join me more. My son loves to bake when I let him so I do need t o embrace that. I would live him to grow up and be able to help his lady out someday.

That would be lovely. And to think he loves to do it. What a treat! Like you I would love my son to know his way around the kitchen and the oven to help out his lady one day. I said help out but I really mean complement her. There is a big difference.

Reaction score
Whenever my kids are in the kitchen with me i just grind my teeth...count to ten and tell myself kids will be kids...i try my utmost not to make any negative comments as my son is very sensitive and i wouldn't want to do anything to chase him out of the kitchen. When it comes to cooking with kids patience is the key.

Reaction score

And she'll definitely thank you for it! lol, that's one thing I tell my boys when they do get reluctant or disinterested for a while :p who doesn't love a man that cook?

Reaction score
I am like that a bit of a control freak in my home especially the kitchen and then I complain my daughter doesn't do much to help. Now when she wants to bake I leave her to it and come into the lounge. She does well too so I have relaxed a lot now. My hubby also understands my oddness so he clears up of he is cooking or preparing breakfast. I know I am bad but I can't help it i hate mess!

Reaction score
I'm far from a baking perfectionist and I love it when my daughter helps. I like to have fun in the kitchen, even if things get a little messy.

Ask a Question