My cookies crumble. Why?

Reaction score
I've been baking cakes, pies, cookies and more for about 15 years. I enjoy doing it.I'd much rather bake than cook. Lately I've developed a problem that frustrates me. My cookies all but fall apart. It's impossible to pick up or hold a cookie without it crumbling. I suspect it's caused by one of the ingredients, either too much or too little. And it doesn't seem to matter what kind of cookies I bake. Will appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Mart

Reaction score
I've been baking cakes, pies, cookies and more for about 15 years. I enjoy doing it.I'd much rather bake than cook. Lately I've developed a problem that frustrates me. My cookies all but fall apart. It's impossible to pick up or hold a cookie without it crumbling. I suspect it's caused by one of the ingredients, either too much or too little. And it doesn't seem to matter what kind of cookies I bake. Will appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Mart

More information would be helpful .

Are you using wheat flour? If wheat flour? Is it all purpose, pastry, or cake, or whole wheat?

Alternative non wheat flours? Or combination of wheat flour and alternative flours.

Are your using butter, shortening, or margarine?

Are you using the creaming mixing method? If so what is the temperature of your fat BEFORE you begin mixing and what is the finish temperature of you dough?

Are you using sugar, honeys, agave, or artificial sweeteners?

Do the cookies that crumble have a add ins (nuts, dries fruit)

Reaction score

Mart

Can I ask... did you get a new stove? Do you have a gas or electric stove? It matters. Gas tends to dry things out so a pan of water in the oven will help if that's the cause.

Have you changed the type of flour (or other ingredients) you're using? That matters too.

Ask a Question