My Cronuts won't rise

Reaction score
I've used the recipe on Youtube by Sorted Food provided to them by Edd Kimber. Their method is rough puff pastry not laminated dough like Dominic Ansel. I have tried to make this four times now and have only got the cut dough to rise once and that only rose to about half the size shown on the Sorted Food video and only because I put it in the oven to rise. Has anyone tried it? If so, did it work? Where could I be going wrong?

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! :)

Sorry to hear you've been having problems with your cronuts. The rise comes from having lots of thin layers of butter and pastry - when it then goes into the oven the butter heats up and puffs up the layers. So my thoughts are that perhaps you are cutting up the butter too small - they suggest putting it all in the food processor, but instead you could just combine the ingredients without the butter and then mix them into the dough - that way you have definite chunks. Also make sure that you are doing the right number of folds - they skim over it quite quickly.

Reaction score
I folded the pastry four times to create 81 layers and my dough looked just like theirs when the camera zoomed in to show the chunks of butter in the pastry. Also they did not put theirs in the oven at all. They suggested to just cut the rings, prove for an hour or until doubled in size then fry. I put it in the oven to make them rise ... anyway I suspect you are right about the butter being the issue so I will not leave it to chance and will in fact make a laminated dough like Dominic Ansel suggests and see how it goes. Thanks for the advice :)

Reaction score
welcome to the board :)

and what is a cronut ?
It's a cross between a croissant (light with many layers) and a doughnut (deep fried, crispy on the outside, light on the inside and injected with a filling of your choice). Must be to die for but I have yet to make it!

Reaction score
wow that sounds delicious, but it may be beyond my baking skills ,I have yet to try making a croissant,but the cronut sounds like it would be great with some lemon curd,I've been on a lemon kick for awhile now :)

let us know how they come out,I may try to make some croissants before to long,but a lemon pie will be coming up first for turkey Day lol

Ask a Question