My first Bread with Yeast

Reaction score
I am proud to say I made my first bread that called for yeast. I have been meaning to try a bread like this for ages, but I find bread making so intimidating. Anyway, I tried this recipe and it turned out to be quite an ordeal. I used whole wheat flour instead of the white flour that was called for and in the end the bread was too tough for my liking. I had to wait hours for it to rise and the recipe said otherwise. Some friends elsewhere say the recipe was flawed. What do you think?

http://www.food.com/recipe/quick-yeast-bread-89164

Reaction score
Quick yeast bread? Well, I am not an expert when it comes to yeast, but is of my understanding you shouldn't do what the first bit of this recipe suggests. I always let my years rest in warm water for a bit, then add it to whatever I am making (mostly pizza crust). As far as I know you need to give it some time in the warm water. It's indeed an odd recipe.. how they mixed all the ingredients just like that o_O

Reaction score
After I fought with it, I tried to push it off on my son and husband. It was a fight for me to eat it and I am a bread lover sadly. I used garlic spread to give it a more appealing taste. The first day my son helped me get rid of a decent amount but in the end I still had a little bit to throw out. Some who saw the recipe thought it was quite poor and then my using whole wheat alone did not help.

Reaction score
@Winterybella I thhink it may have been due to the use of whole wheat flour. When you use whole wheat flour you can't use the same amount of white all-purpose flour. That may have been why it came out tough. You should've used about use about 3 and 3/4 C of whole wheat flour instead of 5C. For every cup of flour (white) you should use 3/4C of whole wheat flour.

And regarding the yeast, I think they forgot to specify it should be quick yeast or rapid-rise yeast. It cuts the rise time in half. That's what puts the "quick" in this recipe.

Reaction score
After I fought with it, I tried to push it off on my son and husband. It was a fight for me to eat it and I am a bread lover sadly. I used garlic spread to give it a more appealing taste. The first day my son helped me get rid of a decent amount but in the end I still had a little bit to throw out. Some who saw the recipe thought it was quite poor and then my using whole wheat alone did not help.

Aww :( I've tasted my own failures in the past, it's really tough! But I think something is odd about the way they mixed everything with the yeast... something is very odd with that preparation. The new mommy made a good point as well, I think your bread also turned like that because of the wheat flour.

Reaction score
ThatNewMommy, it must be the flour, first and foremost. In one of the reviews, the person said they mixed half white and half wheat and had a great result. You never know with reviews. What some also questioned was the wetting of the bread. Is that something that can happen normally?

Well Trellum, I was trying to make the most out of the worse and trying to save as much as possible. When the dogs don't respond to my recipes, I know something is wrong. It did not look too bad though.

20150916_084325_resized.jpg

Reaction score
@Winterybella Your bread looks gorgeous :eek: So it was actually too hard? Well, next time you can use half and half and see how it goes? I've been thinking of making my own bread as well, it's much better than the store bought one full of all those chemicals and preservatives.

Reaction score
@Winterybella Your bread looks gorgeous :eek: So it was actually too hard? Well, next time you can use half and half and see how it goes? I've been thinking of making my own bread as well, it's much better than the store bought one full of all those chemicals and preservatives.
Well one of my boyfriends who's now living in the US said he does not buy the store "expletive" they call bread. We had a blast a few days ago. He actually made me a video of him making bread. I am sorry he showed his face otherwise I'd share it. I was so excited to watch the ease with which he made the bread using his scissors and all. I had forgotten how good he was. He would be a great here but he probably won't have the time. Here's some of what he sharedIMG-20150921-WA008.jpg IMG-20150921-WA003.jpg IMG-20150921-WA011.jpg IMG-20150921-WA012.jpg

Ask a Question