My first non box Chocolate Cake

Reaction score
Reaction score
my first question is should I sift all the dry mix or just the flour first ? I'm going to just sift the flour and see what happens

well i forgot to sift the flour lol but I did find a tupper ware cake box and scrubbed it clean,it makes me wonder where the other one got off to

all the dry ingredients are in the stand mixer bowl and have been whisked and i only have 1 cake pan,so the batter will have to sit for a while

Last edited:
Reaction score
it is mixed and in my 1 cake pan baking :) here are a few pictures

001.JPG
002.JPG

well i did make a mess but nothing to bad yet :) there is still frosting to be made and where is that Flour Frosting Recipe when I need it ?

Reaction score
ut oh the first one barely came out of the pan,we shall see what the 2nd one does

006.JPG

should i have shaken off the excess coca powder from the pan ?

Reaction score
evidently i'm not good at measuring the mix out at all,the dry ingredients for the frosting are in the bowl and i'm half way to trashing the kitchen,even though I've been washing dishes and bowls as I have went along ;)

007.JPG

Reaction score
in the frosting recipe it says to use 5 tablespoons of evaporated milk,is it OK to use 2% milk instead ? I'm going with the evaporated,since i have some,I had just read that in the comments section of the Frosting Recipe and was wondering if that would work

well if i had 2 pans,I would be Frosting the cake right now,instead of waiting for the 2nd one to cool off,I do have to say that the crumbs do taste really good though ;)

and i do assume it is safe to let it sit on the counter top too?I didn't know there was a bunch of butter in the frosting,hopefully there will be enough Frosting too,I did read in the comment section that a lot of people were doubling the recipe,to cover a cake,we shall see :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
oh no the frosting is just terrible,it is more like a syrup rather than a thick frosting,it tastes good,but won't stiffen up,i did add more sugar and it seems to not be helping any,I've added butter,but it just isn't getting any thicker ,if it called for some flour,i would add some

this is a total disaster

it is a good thing that I like chocolate milk,that is about all my frosting is worth

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ta Da :)

009.JPG

i kept checking out other recipes and figured out all it needed was a ton more sugar ,so i went from to runny to almost way to stiff,but it did sit for a while and it taste pretty darn good,even though I haven't sliced it yet,I did eat a bunch of the cut off tops to level them and cleaned the frosting bowl with them :)

so overall it came out pretty good for my first try from scratch,as usual I went for the uuuuh Rustic Look and that is what I'm standing by lol

i did sprinkle it with some pecans too,to add to the rustic look :)

Reaction score
ooops I put this in the wrong forum and I do wish I had some canned peaches to go with the cake,papaw got me eating cake with the syrup poured over the slice of cake with some peaches on the side :)
my next cake is going to be like a red velvet ,but orange and white instead of red :)

which will probably be a couple of months,I'l be tiered of cake long ,before this one is gone,hopefully I can give some of this one away :)

Reaction score
Looks yummie!!!

Well, for the cake pan, yes...you should dust it as lightly as possible and tap out all the excess. Otherwise you can get those white little globs of stuff on your cake sides.

As for the frosting....I've NEVER heard of using evaporated milk in a frosting before. Thats why it came out runny. I would have left it out. If you want to add a dairy ingredient besides butter, then think you could put a pat or two more of butter in there, or a couple tablespoons of dried milk, or even a tablespoon of heavy cream.

If you ever get runny frosting, you can use some of my tips in my other posts.

I love heavy chocolate tasting frosting. I would have put more cocoa powder in the mix instead of sugar and then whipped it on high, in the mixer.

It might have also gotten runny because it was too hot. You do want to use room temperature ingredients when making the frosting, but once you cream the butter with the salt, vanilla, and any other wet ingredients you might have....mix it well with one cup of the sifted confectioners sugar, then put it in the fridge for 5 minutes, so it can cool down. Then you can start mixing in the rest of the sugar. You can always stop and let the frosting rest in the fridge for a few minutes if it gets hot again.

And by "hot" I mean, the frosting gets really loose and runny. If the cooling down in the fridge does not work, then it definitely needs some more dry ingredients to firm it up.

In this case you can use more sugar, which you did. Or you can use more cocoa powder. You can use flour, if you know how to use it in a frosting, otherwise it tastes horrible. You can also use a little bit of dry gelatin in the mix, or dry packaged pudding powder. Some people even use a little bit of cornstarch.

Reaction score
So sorry to hear things didn't go so well with the frosting :( I hate it when that happens, I had a experience like that when I baked my first carrot cake. Al went great, but the silly frosting cracked D: It sucks when everything is going so smoothly then something like this happens :p

Reaction score
I do have to say I'm fairly proud of the way it came out for my first attempt at doing one from scratch,it tasted really good,even if it will give you a sugar buzz ;)

thanks for all the tips Chester,I didn't have any milk around so i used canned evaporated milk instead,I mixed it half and half with some water,I've been using it in other stuff I've been baking and haven't had any problems with it,I did have some heavy whipping cream in the fridge and didn't think to use any

I do have another question,does the sugar have to be confectioner sugar ? I seen some recipes for Frosting that said to use granulated sugar,will sifting granulated sugar get the job done ? from what you said Chester,I should have used a lot more cocoa powder and a lot less sugar :)

my next cake is going to be an orange and white one,to go with my football teams colors

Go Vols :)

Reaction score
I was smiling all the way through this experience. I have to give it to you @justme4910. I have not ventured near the frosting thing. One thing is that I don't eat it and the other is that I believe it would be a total disaster. To you I say 'hooray' for a job well done with your rustic chocolate cake;).
animated-clapping-hands-clipart-1.jpg

Reaction score
Well, good for you. It sounds like you enjoyed the experience, and it looks just fine. I'm sure everyone will be pleased with the outcome when they are enjoying your cake.

For me, the best way is to just jump right in there and try, so I'm glad you decided to just go for it. Keep up the good work. :)

Reaction score
glad you enjoy watching my misadventures in baking bella lol the Frosting was easy,once I seen how to get it thicker ;)

I'm like you Zyni,I just jump in and figure it out as I go,of course I seem to have more problems than most lol

Reaction score
glad you enjoy watching my misadventures in baking bella lol the Frosting was easy,once I seen how to get it thicker ;)

I'm like you Zyni,I just jump in and figure it out as I go,of course I seem to have more problems than most lol

Ha, I've had more "mistake cakes" than good ones, I think. My problem with frosting was that I always got into too big of a hurry. I figured, "Frosting, what's so hard?" and I just dumped everything in and mixed it up. It doesn't work very well like that, lol. There is an art to making frosting, especially buttercream. Funny enough, it was my oldest daughter who taught me... the student becomes the teacher. ;)

Ask a Question