My first non box Chocolate Cake

Reaction score
I looks like I am going to die waiting for my son to teach me anything in the kitchen and to think he's such a big chocolate lover. Anyway I live in hope.

Reaction score
well needless to say i have a lot to learn in the fine are of making Frosting for sure and it is funny you said butter cream frosting,my sister had problems with one the past Christmas,my aunt told her to add more sugar too lol when we called her

the poor ole cake did look runny :) but it tasted great

Reaction score
put him in a chair facing a corner Bella and tell him he isn't allowed up till he shares his knowledge :)

Reaction score
rats I didn't let the eggs get to room temperature or the milk,I assume this is necessary ?

Reaction score
and no,I still don't have 2 cake pans :)

001.JPG
003.JPG

nice looking stove isn't it ? :)

Reaction score
ut oh there is trouble a brewing :) it fell apart when i took it out of the pan,hopefully I can glue it together with the frosting,I've put the cake pan in the oven for the 2nd layer and it is on the full side too lol

I did forget to level up the stove when we installed it too ,oh well surely a knife and some frosting will fix it :)

005.JPG

Reaction score
well i either needed more frosting or maybe a bit thinner or not of used so much patching up the bottom layer

it is a ugly looking thing :) but it taste pretty good

011.JPG

that is the bottom layer after it was patched up :)

012.JPG

as you can see the top layer doesn't match up at all,due to the first one breaking apart

014.JPG

another rustic master piece :)

now that is one ugly looking cake,the frosting was to thick pulling apart the cake ,so I will have to eat it just to be sure it is tasty lol

Reaction score
is that a sympathy post Becky ? or are you making fun ?

sniff sniff my feelings are hurt

just kidding :) I went from the frosting being to thin to thick,maybe the next time I will get it right ,at least I am getting close and I think I didn't use enough shortening on the first layer or not enough flour,the 2nd one came out easily and I do need another cake pan,it takes forever using just one,of course I did correct a problem

and as you can tell,I have no shame in sharing my baking adventures :)did you like the hockey puck in the stove ?that was a pain to clean up too,just wait till I get all the stuff for my next home work assignment together for Chester's homework lol

oooh and I had all ready eaten the pecans pieces that were going to be added on the frosting

Reaction score
Bravo!
You are now on your way to being a certified from scratch baker!
Assuming you used the same recipe and did everything the same as the first?
If so I think I can safely say the layer broke because you dumped it out too soon.
A too warm cake will break just like yours did....across/close to the center and in a large chunk.
The edges are intact and that would be the sure fire #1 sign that there was something amiss in the pan prep department (so you are safe :).
Patiently waiting for the orange and white tribute to your precious Vols.....

Reaction score
i did change recipes and treated it like the other one,so that was probably the problem

and I did use AP flour to dust the pan instead of cocoa powder on the cake layers this time,but it may have been a lack of applying a good layer of shortening to the pan or maybe the flour

Ask a Question