My Grandmas Scotch Cookies

Reaction score
With the kids I look after a favourite is always Scotch Cookies. Its an easy recipe and after everything's mixed the kids can make the dough in there favourite shapes. This is my grandmother's recipe and a Christmas favourite in our house.

1/2 cup of corn starch
1/2 cup of icing sugar
1 cup of flour
3/4 cup of butter

Mix everything together in that order. The ingredients may seem dry at first but keep mixing it will blend into a dough. I find its easiest to mix it by just getting your hands in the bowl and blending it by hand.
When it's kids making the shapes out of the dough, I like to put the dough in the fridge for a half hour or so. I find it just helps it keep it's shape better when the kids are rolling it around.
This recipe doubles really well too if you want to make a bigger batch. Also no raw eggs. I don't know if I would recommend eating the dough raw, it's also not going to hurt anyone either if a little one tries it.

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing a great recipe. I'm not a fan of complicated recipes; I try to keep my baking as simple as possible. This one sounds pretty easy and straightforward - not to mention delicious.

Reaction score
Cmckinney I like uncomplicated recipes too. I find usually if a recipe is too complicated it has a lot ingredients that I don't have. I'll make something special every now and then but usually a recipe that's straight forward is fun, easy and uses ingredients that I have on hand and I like that :) This one is easy. I make about 100 of these every Christmas for family and they always seem to come out.

Reaction score
Grandma's cookies will and will always have the best recipes on earth. And it's wonderful that you shared your grandmother's recipe with us.

I tried out this recipe last night, and I'll probably try this out again during the holidays this year.

Thank you for this!

Ask a Question