MY OWN HOMEMADE SANDWICH BREAD!

Reaction score
You are doing great justme4910. I plan on staying in for a while today but I doubt it's going to the right time to try something like this. I still do get a little intimidated...maybe a lot intimidated.

Reaction score
it isn't that hard bella,if I can do it,so can you ;)

and there is no time like the present either,I have faith that you can make some tasty bread,it sounds harder than it actually is and experience is the best teacher

I'll be honest,it is the recipe that made this bread come out so good,it wasn't anything I was doing,I can guarantee you that lol most of my other attempts came out really dense,but made good toast or got cut up into chunks and put in with the brown bombers :)

give it a try,I'm sure you can't do any worse than I have,I even messed it up with a bread machine and iImean bad too,as in I had to throw it out BAD :)

one tip,put the yeast,sugar and 3 tablespoons of warm water(100 to 110 degrees Farenhite) in a warm bowl and let it set for 10 minutes first,then just follow the recipe,it works :)

Reaction score
for some reason,the bread isn't rising high enough and it was a bit on the dense side on the last loaf bella :)

should I let it rise longer on the first rise or the 2nd one ? it isn't getting very tall,the taste is really good ,but it isn't tall enough to call it a sandwich loaf,

and yes,it is time to make another loaf

Reaction score
well I am wrong,it has a good rise to it this time,I let the first rise go longer and I have messed up on the 2nd rise and don't have the oven up to temp yet,it is never easy :) not a good pucture at all,but you cab see where it has risen over the top of the pan
006.JPG

Reaction score
I don't know it you can tell from this picture,but the top fell a little and the internal temp was 202 degrees Fahrenheit
008.JPG
,when I took it out,it is cooling on a rack now

Reaction score
I've only made bread a few times, so I can't tell you why it fell. I don't know if it's persnickety like cakes and can fall if there's vibrations or loud noises, or if maybe it was to do with the proportions. Hopefully someone will let you know. It looks yummy, though, and hopefully next time it won't 'fall', although it doesn't look as if it fell much.

Reaction score
the last loaf taste really good,but it fell,if I remember correctly,won't it fall when I've let it sit too long,on the 2nd rise,when it is in a pan ?

and i did use some saran wrap to cover it for 2nd rise,would it be better to use a kitchen towel for that ? the recipe did say to loosely cover it,with the saran wrap, with it lightly sprayed with oil,which I did

when i took the wrap off,it had risen above the edges of the pan and when I put it in the oven,it was still over the edges,but fell while I was baking it

the next time I bake a loaf Diane,I will set it on the shelf above the Fridge, not on it and see if that makes a diffrence

Reaction score
I thought I had lost this recipe,thank goodness I found it on here , time to make another loaf :) i have it saved in my favorites now lol

Reaction score
ok I have more questions,imagine that :) this time I use corn oil instead uf butter,the recipe said it was OK to use and I thought I would try it,the batter looks a bit stiffer this time,we shall see how well it rises

I was wanting to know how long do I need to knead the dough in a stand mixer ? I went with 6 minutes and that included stopping several times to scrape the dough down,is that to much or too little ?

here is a picture of the dough.going under the towel for an hour or so :)

001.JPG

Reaction score
oops I forgot to take a picture of how the dough rose :) here is a done loaf,I will tell you how it tastes after it has cooled down

007.JPG

Reaction score
I thought I had lost this recipe,thank goodness I found it on here , time to make another loaf :) i have it saved in my favorites now lol
It's great to see all these pics. I have to wonder if I can ever present something like this. I don't know about "if I can do it so can you'. The fear goes and comes. I will pull it off eventually.

Reaction score
Fresh baked bread is one of my favorites to eat but it's never quite as simple to make as I would like. Because I have moved around quite a bit I always have to find the perfect time of year and inside temperature for rising. It is the only thing that is just so different to make when you move from state to state. Your's looks yummy Justme4910 maybe you could just send it through the mail? :)

Reaction score
I could try Cheryl but it doesn't last very long till the mold starts and overnight shipping is expensive for a loaf of bread :)

try to make a loaf bella,this recipe is easy,do as Becky told me when adding fluids to a recipe,put the flour in first and the water or what ever to desired consistency,I did think it was sticky and mmm soft I guess is what you would call it,when I dumped it out on the board to shape it for a loaf,I could just as easily pour it straight into the loaf pan since I wasn't actually doing any shaping,I have to use a food scraper to help get it in the loaf pan

so does that mean I am still adding to much water Becky or anybody ?

or should I be using flour on the cutting board instead of a coating of oil ?

I had to let it rise longer than what the recipe calls for,i assume that is just a temperature thing in the kitchen ? it still didn't rise above the edge of the loaf pan,of course that may just be the difference in pans ?

and use butter instead of oil,I think it taste a little bit better using butter,I've actually been using margarine instead

Reaction score
ok so I'm making another loaf :) this time I went with a lot less water,the dough is a lot stiffer,we shall see how it comes out this time :) here are some pics,does that look right in the mixer ? that was after I kneaded it
002.JPG
004.JPG

Reaction score
here is what it looks
006.JPG
like after it has risen in the bowl and I could actually shape it this time :)

here it is the pan and yes i need to get some new ones too lol

007.JPG

Ask a Question